Re: What Do You Think of This?

  • Anders Dahl
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
      >I write the Matmos article (they were the first to get back to me
      >which was very good of them), lay it out on the page and everything,
      >having been given the all-clear by the next guy up on the hierarchy,
      >next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this week's music page
      >isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the Matmos one because
      >'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's heard of', replaces
      >it with one featuring The Unbelievable Truth on the grounds that it's
      >band he's heard of (he's not too clued up on music, it must be said)
      >and effectively fires me.
      >
      >And I'm mightily pissed off about it! Now we have a music section
      >that looks like every other student paper music section, all of which
      >are modelled on the truly ghastly Melody Maker.
      >
      >So- what do you think of this whole thing?

      A student newspaper doesn't event have any real commercial pressures, which
      had made the reasoning behind the article replacement more understandable.
      I'm sorry for your sake. Running a student paper in the style of a
      commercial-we-only-want-to-make-more-money newspaper make no sense to me.

      Publish the article here on the mailinglist. I'm sure it will be more
      appreciated here than by your evil boss...

      anders.
    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
        Hello all,

        Sorry to watse bandwidth with a bit of a prattle on here but I
        just have to get this off my chest.

        I'm a student, it's the new term, I'd just started out as music
        editor on the student newspaper here. Now, two weeks in and I've
        been SACKED as music editor. Why could this be? Well, it's quite
        simple. I wanted to run a column, not a particularly big one, but a
        column nonetheless introducing my favourite bands, many of whom you
        can read about in The Wire, to an audience which is unfamiliar with
        them. I wasn't going to give the entire section of the paper over
        to these bands, just some short coverage. So, I spent most of August
        and September trying to track down the likes of Matmos, Ui and Tone
        Rec (to name just three) for short interviews.

        I write the Matmos article (they were the first to get back to me
        which was very good of them), lay it out on the page and everything,
        having been given the all-clear by the next guy up on the hierarchy,
        next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this week's music page
        isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the Matmos one because
        'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's heard of', replaces
        it with one featuring The Unbelievable Truth on the grounds that it's
        band he's heard of (he's not too clued up on music, it must be said)
        and effectively fires me.

        And I'm mightily pissed off about it! Now we have a music section
        that looks like every other student paper music section, all of which
        are modelled on the truly ghastly Melody Maker.

        So- what do you think of this whole thing?

        NB - Please don't attempt to flame the paper, I'm still writing for
        it and they'll blacklist me for life if they find out I sent this.
        Luckily, none of them even know this group exists.

        JOHN
      • Mark Coyle
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
          Hi

          >So- what do you think of this whole thing?

          typical of the modern, commercial, thrusting, bland students of today with
          no fire in their belly.

          Cheers
          Mark
        • jk from mpls
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 1998
            ---John <W.J.Gibson@...> wrote:
            > next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this
            week's music page
            > isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the
            Matmos one because
            > 'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's
            heard of', replaces
            > it with one featuring The Unbelievable Truth on the
            grounds that it's
            > band he's heard of (he's not too clued up on music,
            it must be said)
            > and effectively fires me.

            Well, tell him that he's failed in his own right
            because I've never heard of The Unbelievable Truth,
            but I know of Matmos!

            Anyway, if you're feeling a bit energetic you could
            pull a little stunt. Print up your article on a
            newsprint insert (this is assuming that your student
            paper is printed on newsprint), and trek on down to
            the newspaper's distribution station bright & early
            at 4 AM and place the flier in as many issues of the
            paper as you can. Then it will be delivered as "part
            of the paper" after all. Since you are a newspaper
            employee, no one would stop you from doing it (like
            the editor is gonna be out of bed yet; he's gonna
            leave all the grunt work to everyone else). The
            distribution staff would assume it was a last minute
            ad they forgot to include. Heh heh. You could also
            just print them on standard copy paper & place them
            in issues as well. I used to go around the campus
            early on the day the special entertainment section
            was distributed and place my own articles & fliers in
            the issues that were sitting out so that everyone
            would be able to read my own contributions. Never got
            busted ...
          • mltsnt
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 1998
              At 05:07 PM 10/5/98 GMT0BST, you wrote:
              >I write the Matmos article (they were the first to get back to me
              >which was very good of them), lay it out on the page and everything,
              >having been given the all-clear by the next guy up on the hierarchy,
              >next thing I know the editor tells me that 'this week's music page
              >isn't really what we're looking for', pulls the Matmos one because
              >'we don't really want articles on bands no-one's heard of'

              ...hey man i'll be starting up a tiny zine here (though i've yet to decide
              if it'll be WEB or PHYSICAL) and i'd love to print your matmos interview...

              mlt/
              http://members.xoom.com/multsanta/