Re: [thewire] Re: new

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 4, 2000
      From: <jamello@...>
      To: <thewire@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 2:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [thewire] Re: new

      > The Necks are new to me, give me the lowdown: who are they, what do they
      spound like, recommended CDs, etc.?

      www.thenecks.com

      Most of their albums contain one or two tracks (between 30 and 60
      minutes)...sort of minimalist jazz? What you usually
      get is standard bass / drums / piano trio who find a locked groove and play
      it for an hour...making very subtle changes
      throughout. Someone did call them the Chain Reaction of jazz, and this is a
      pretty fitting title, I think. The whole experience
      is hypnotic. Their album 'next' actually has 6 tracks. This is a bit
      unusual for them. There is not a bad one in the bunch, but
      if I had to start somewhere, I'd look for 'next' and 'hanging gardens'...all
      are fantastic, though.

      davis
    • Davis Ford
      Message 54 of 54 , Nov 4, 2000
        > this is very boring - how about some music, like the fabulous Chicago
        > Underground Duo "Synesthesia" currently spinning on my hi-fi.

        I just got this one:
        http://www.ecmrecords.com/ecm/recordings/1704.html

        I have to say, it's really, really great.

        davis