"here come old laptop..."

  • The Solutions Group
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
      >Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:19:06 +1000
      > From: "chux vomitus (DCW)" <chux@...>
      >Subject: making music...
      >
      >...is there any really good reason why Apple Powerbooks seem to be the
      favourite of the electronic music lap-top set (if indeed this is the case)?

      >I mean, is due to perceived superiority of Apple's hardware and OS?
      >
      >Or is there 'better' software available on Macs for composing electronic
      music?

      >thanks

      We at the Solutions Group turned your question over to Mego's Ramon Bauer
      (of Rehberg & Bauer, General Magic, and several other highly regarded
      projects and assemblages) and this was his response:

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2000
        I'd be intressed to know what the likes of Pole, autechre etc. use to perform.

        Personally I think the reason musicians use powerbooks is the very
        groovy glowing apple on the cover.

        Ed
      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2000
          sounds like they use articulated lorries - minus petrol + empty crisp
          packets . we like.

          ************I'M A BROKE DOWN MAN WITH A BUSTED HEART***********
          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and any
          attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

        • rfaith
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2000
            >I'd be intressed to know what the likes of Pole, autechre etc. use to perform.

            there was a skam/schematic evening a month or so back and

            i think it was gescom (as 2 persons)
            who used
            2 curvy mac powerbooks
            and a brightly coloured pc notebook

            (others used mds+dex and even real musical hardware)

            personally i find menu options in most programs
            quicker to access on a mac which i guess is vital
            for real time synthesis

            lots of links to linux based programs from
            mego type areas
            .
            +richard
          • wmvrrvrrmm@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2000
              In a message dated 11/09/2000 22:32:32, dali@... writes:

              << Personally I think the reason musicians use powerbooks is the very
              groovy glowing apple on the cover.

              Maybe they're trying to make it into the books as Mac Masters

              <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/wmvrrvrrmm/">The Wmmvrrvrrmm Place !</A>
              The art and writings of Dominic (wmmvrrvrrmm) Kulcsar

              <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/velvet_belly_uk/">The Velvet Belly Page</A>
              An unofficial fansite dedicated to the Norwegian band Velvet Belly
            • Iris Garrelfs
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
                on 12/9/00 6:37 pm, rfaith at rfaith@... wrote:

                and of course, PCs have a nasty habit of crashing/freezing up on you. about
                that glowing apple thing: NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

                >> I'd be intressed to know what the likes of Pole, autechre etc. use to
                >> perform.
                >
                > there was a skam/schematic evening a month or so back and
                >
                > i think it was gescom (as 2 persons)
                > who used
                > 2 curvy mac powerbooks
                > and a brightly coloured pc notebook
                >
                > (others used mds+dex and even real musical hardware)
                >
                > personally i find menu options in most programs
                > quicker to access on a mac which i guess is vital
                > for real time synthesis
                >
                > lots of links to linux based programs from
                > mego type areas
                > ..
                > +richard

              • JacobM
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
                  surely the pc habit of crashing and freezing would be beneficial to autechre
                  etal....

                  and of course, PCs have a nasty habit of crashing/freezing up on you. about
                  that glowing apple thing: NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

                  >> I'd be intressed to know what the likes of Pole, autechre etc. use to
                  >> perform.
                  >
                  > there was a skam/schematic evening a month or so back and
                  >
                  > i think it was gescom (as 2 persons)
                  > who used
                  > 2 curvy mac powerbooks
                  > and a brightly coloured pc notebook
                  >
                  > (others used mds+dex and even real musical hardware)
                  >
                  > personally i find menu options in most programs
                  > quicker to access on a mac which i guess is vital
                  > for real time synthesis
                  >
                  > lots of links to linux based programs from
                  > mego type areas
                  > ..
                  > +richard

                • Iris Garrelfs
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2000
                    taking this thought a little further, you could develop a little program
                    which introduces random interruptions/mutations into the flow of a
                    performance. wouldn't that be a challenge? the marvels of conceptualism ...