Ryoji Ikeda

  • Graeme Baillie
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
      > Message: 6
      > Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:54:43 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: DeeDee <DeeDee_523@...>
      > Subject: Re: Ryoji Ikeda
      >

      > --
      > >
      > > > Could someone recommend some Ryoji Ikeda to start with? I\'ve heard
      > > (and
      > > > liked) the track on Mille Plateaux\'s _Modulation & Transformation_
      > > comp.
      >

      > --- Mark Richardson <markr8@...> wrote:
      > > Could someone recommend some Ryoji Ikeda to start with? I've heard
      > > (and
      > > liked) the track on Mille Plateaux's _Modulation & Transformation_
      > > comp.
      > > Thanks for any suggestions.
      >

      > Very easy:
      > 1000 Fragments (CCI), his first release, is a wild cut-up collage, with
      > occasional bits of sinewave madness. Masterpiece.
      > +/- (Touch) is just sinewaves, very geometrical, and also a
      > masterpiece.
      > 0°C (Touch) goes back to the style of Fragments, but even more refined,
      > and some wonderful droney-passages as well. His third masterpiece.
      >
      > Get all of these first, but start with +/-.
      > Time/Space, a double 3" cd, and the Mort Aux Vaches sessions, both on
      > Staalplaat,IMO are not as divine as the 3 fullengths, but still among
      > the greateast music mankind has come up with yet.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > DeeDee

      I have not heard 1000 fragments. How easy is it to find??? I have the
      other two cds. The first i got was "0.C" .
      Pretty amazing i thought. Lots of little cut ups and blips. Quite
      ryhtmical in his own way. He definately has his own style. And yes, some
      long drone tracks towards the end.

      I recently got "+/-". Not too different from the (later) "0.c", but with
      a few more droning parts. I would still have to say that "0.C" is my
      favourite, simply because it was the first thing i have heard from him!

      Graeme.
      http://www.oblivion-zine.com
    • Jeroen de Boer
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2000
        > Message: 1

        > Could someone recommend some Ryoji Ikeda to start with? I've heard
        > (and liked) the track on Mille Plateaux's _Modulation &
        > Transformation_ comp. Thanks for any suggestions.

        If possible try to find Staalplaat 'Mort Aux Vaches'-edition featuring
        Ikeda. That one's really brilliant.

        Jeroen

        Jeroen de Boer
        music director Open Electronic Festival/Cyberslag Foundation
        Munnekeholm 10, 9711JA Groningen
        The Netherlands
        tel/fax: +31 (0)503634676/(0)503632209
        gsm: +31 (0)624814506