documentary sound resources

  • Lang Thompson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 29, 2000
      http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/documentary.htm

      I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary sound (field
      recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical even by our
      pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions, corrections, etc
      I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are basically: no processing,
      no sounds created to be recorded and the recording must have been somehow
      publicly available.)

      Thanks, Lang

      Funhouse
      http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/funhouse.htm
    • Peter Marsh
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
        Lang wrote;
        > I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary sound (field
        > recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical even by our
        > pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions, corrections, etc
        > I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are basically: no processing,
        > no sounds created to be recorded and the recording must have been somehow
        > publicly available.)

        Chris Watson (formerly of Cabaret Voltaire and the Hafler Trio) has
        released a couple of albums of wildlife location recordings (he works
        for the BBC as a sound recordist) on Touch - 'Outside the Circle of
        Fire' and 'Stepping into the Dark'. Featured performances include a
        Capercaillie, Hippopotamus and Deathwatch beetle. particularly enjoyable
        is the recording of vultures pecking at the remains of a zebra, with the
        mics attached to the zebra's ribs. Listen under headphones and be very afraid.

        Peter
      • Verstraeten Stefan
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
          Hello,

          Also worthwile checking out are the new releases on the label called "A
          phyrric victory", a sublabel of Manifold.

          Some of them however contain processed sounds, but not all of them.

          I reviewed them on the Zornlist (and I think that I put you in cc... excuses
          me if that was not the case).

          Go to http://www.manifoldrecords.com and take the link to a phyrrhic vitory.

          Best wishes

          Stefan Verstraeten

          > I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary sound (field
          > recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical even by our
          > pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions, corrections, etc
          > I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are basically: no processing,
          > no sounds created to be recorded and the recording must have been somehow
          > publicly available.)

          Chris Watson (formerly of Cabaret Voltaire and the Hafler Trio) has
          released a couple of albums of wildlife location recordings (he works
          for the BBC as a sound recordist) on Touch - 'Outside the Circle of
          Fire' and 'Stepping into the Dark'. Featured performances include a
          Capercaillie, Hippopotamus and Deathwatch beetle. particularly enjoyable
          is the recording of vultures pecking at the remains of a zebra, with the
          mics attached to the zebra's ribs. Listen under headphones and be very
          afraid.
        • Iris Garrelfs
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
            cool record! highly recommended

            > Chris Watson (formerly of Cabaret Voltaire and the Hafler Trio) has
            > released a couple of albums of wildlife location recordings (he works
            > for the BBC as a sound recordist) on Touch - 'Outside the Circle of
            > Fire' and 'Stepping into the Dark'. Featured performances include a
            > Capercaillie, Hippopotamus and Deathwatch beetle. particularly enjoyable
            > is the recording of vultures pecking at the remains of a zebra, with the
            > mics attached to the zebra's ribs. Listen under headphones and be very afraid.
            >

            > Peter

          • Ryan Whitehead
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
              Check Aquarius Records' (http://www.aquariusrecordssf.com)
              found sounds/field records category.

              They've raved about SOUNDS OF NORTH AMERICAN FROGS on Smithsonian Folkways,
              INSECT NOISE IN STORED FOODSTUFFS, and Douglas Quin's field recordings
              titled ANTARTICA. The last two seem to come across as a natural world of
              minimalism and glitch, materialization of Noto or lost recordings of Ryoji
              Ikeda. ENTOMOPHONIA and DEEP INTO THE EARTH may also be of interest.
              They're all reviewed and for sale at Aquarius.

              R[ien}Whitehead

              >From: Peter Marsh [mailto:marshp@...] Subject: [thewire] Re:
              >documentary sound resources
              >
              >Lang wrote; > I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary
              >sound (field > recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical
              >even by our > pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions,
              >corrections, etc > I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are
              >basically: no processing, > no sounds created to be recorded and the
              >recording must have been somehow > publicly available.)
              >
              >Chris Watson (formerly of Cabaret Voltaire and the Hafler Trio) has
              >released a couple of albums of wildlife location recordings (he works for
              >the BBC as a sound recordist) on Touch - 'Outside the Circle of Fire' and
              >'Stepping into the Dark'. Featured performances include a Capercaillie,
              >Hippopotamus and Deathwatch beetle. particularly enjoyable is the recording
              >of vultures pecking at the remains of a zebra, with the mics attached to
              >the zebra's ribs. Listen under headphones and be very afraid.

              http://profiles.msn.com.
            • Ryan Whitehead
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
                Just thought of a few other things on the documentary sound front. Though
                they violate most of the criteria laid out below (no processing, no sounds
                created to be recorded), they are good demonstrations of how documentary
                sound can be incorporated in music as documentation of event/time/space.
                They are: Glenn Gould's Solitude Trilogy (which I believe The Wire listed as
                one of the 100 Records That Set The World On Fire) and Hildegard
                Westerkamp's Transformation on Empreintes DIGITALes.

                You can read more about the Gould at www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/nlnews/ehebb.htm.
                To quote gould, he "[conceived] documentary projects in terms of the audio
                capabilities they afford." As this page notes, he regarded his raw material
                as a composer would his musical notes.

                Westerkamp deals with one's responsibility to the sounds that one uses, what
                the consequences of transformation are, the irreality of presenting an
                unalterable/unprocessed sound. She has said that she hears "the soundscape
                as a language with which places and societies express themselves."
                Transformations gives us five of those expressions. Subtle.

                Seems like Disinformation's short wave recordings and Alvin Lucier's
                precursors to those recordings that capture electromagnetic phenomena fall
                into these documentary categories, but maybe they're considered to far from
                human perceptual thresholds to be applicable. Maybe they start to become
                documents recording artificial environments . . . but that can be very
                interesting as well (some of david tudor's recordings, minimalist stuff like
                Pendulum Music, and, one i just picked up, Peter Uhr's Fire Symphony are
                good examples of this).

                rw out

                >Lang wrote;
                > > I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary sound
                >(field
                > > recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical even by our
                > > pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions, corrections, etc
                > > I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are basically: no
                >processing,
                > > no sounds created to be recorded and the recording must have been
                >somehow
                > > publicly available.)

                http://profiles.msn.com
              • Mitch Cunningham
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
                  Hi All,

                  Thanks for the tip off re Glenn Gould's 'The Idea of North'. The film
                  'Thirty two short films about Glenn Gould' has a few minutes of this radio
                  doco aswell as a similar piece based on overheard voices in a truckstop.

                  >As this page notes, he regarded his raw material
                  >as a composer would his musical notes.

                  The short snatch of 'North' in the 'Thirty two short films' is excellent as
                  a composition and sits interestingly within the context of Gould's piano
                  style and repertoire which makes up the bulk of the film's musical content.
                  The truckstop sequence further ties in the volume and prominence of the
                  multiple conversations in the mix to the the shifting focus of
                  attentiveness on the part of the actor playing Gould on screen. Well shot,
                  edited and mixed it's a brilliant comment on the fine boundary between
                  active listening and composition.

                  BTW does anyone know if there are any audio samples on the net (mp3,
                  realplayer, whatever) of 'North' or any other of Glenn Gould's radio docos.
                  Also, any tip off's re related films would be much appreciated.

                  Mitch

                  At 02:14 PM 8/30/00 PDT, you wrote:

                  >Just thought of a few other things on the documentary sound front. Though
                  >they violate most of the criteria laid out below (no processing, no sounds
                  >created to be recorded), they are good demonstrations of how documentary
                  >sound can be incorporated in music as documentation of event/time/space.
                  >They are: Glenn Gould's Solitude Trilogy (which I believe The Wire listed as
                  >one of the 100 Records That Set The World On Fire) and Hildegard
                  >Westerkamp's Transformation on Empreintes DIGITALes.
                  >
                  >You can read more about the Gould at www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/nlnews/ehebb.htm.
                  >To quote gould, he "[conceived] documentary projects in terms of the audio
                  >capabilities they afford." As this page notes, he regarded his raw material
                  >as a composer would his musical notes.
                  >
                  >Westerkamp deals with one's responsibility to the sounds that one uses, what
                  >the consequences of transformation are, the irreality of presenting an
                  >unalterable/unprocessed sound. She has said that she hears "the soundscape
                  >as a language with which places and societies express themselves."
                  >Transformations gives us five of those expressions. Subtle.
                  >
                  >Seems like Disinformation's short wave recordings and Alvin Lucier's
                  >precursors to those recordings that capture electromagnetic phenomena fall
                  >into these documentary categories, but maybe they're considered to far from
                  >human perceptual thresholds to be applicable. Maybe they start to become
                  >documents recording artificial environments . . . but that can be very
                  >interesting as well (some of david tudor's recordings, minimalist stuff like
                  >Pendulum Music, and, one i just picked up, Peter Uhr's Fire Symphony are
                  >good examples of this).
                  >
                  >rw out
                  >
                  >>Lang wrote;
                  >> > I'm making a stab at collecting information about documentary sound
                  >>(field
                  >> > recordings, scientific sound, ambient sound; all non-musical even by our
                  >> > pretty loose definitions). If anybody has suggestions, corrections, etc
                  >> > I'd like to hear about them. (The criteria are basically: no
                  >>processing,
                  >> > no sounds created to be recorded and the recording must have been
                  >>somehow
                  >> > publicly available.)

                • trommer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000

                    >Hi All,
                    >
                    >Thanks for the tip off re Glenn Gould's 'The Idea of North'. The film
                    >'Thirty two short films about Glenn Gould' has a few minutes of this radio
                    >doco aswell as a similar piece based on overheard voices in a truckstop.
                    >
                    >>As this page notes, he regarded his raw material
                    >>as a composer would his musical notes.
                    >
                    >The short snatch of 'North' in the 'Thirty two short films' is excellent as
                    >a composition and sits interestingly within the context of Gould's piano
                    >style and repertoire which makes up the bulk of the film's musical content.
                    > The truckstop sequence further ties in the volume and prominence of the
                    >multiple conversations in the mix to the the shifting focus of
                    >attentiveness on the part of the actor playing Gould on screen. Well shot,
                    >edited and mixed it's a brilliant comment on the fine boundary between
                    >active listening and composition.
                    >
                    >BTW does anyone know if there are any audio samples on the net (mp3,
                    >realplayer, whatever) of 'North' or any other of Glenn Gould's radio docos.
                    > Also, any tip off's re related films would be much appreciated.
                    >
                    >Mitch

                    the cbc is a great resource for glenn gould-related stuff (they also put
                    out 'the solitude trilogy' on 3CD...includes 'the idea of north'...)

                    try www.cbc.ca
                  • ingrassia/colovini
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 30, 2000
                      [the following text is in spanish, sorry]

                      [ a u r a l ]

                      una lista en castellano sobre música electrónica, idm, experimental, etc.

                      Para suscribirse enviar un mail a aural-subscribe@egroups.com
                    • Iris Garrelfs
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 3, 2000
                        re film/music lovers/cross overs
                        alex, where you are right, you a re right!