Drink Drunk Drank with Wreck This Mess

  • ninplant@xs4all.nl
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2000
      wReck thiS meSS on Radio Patapoe 97.2 o Amsterdam

      Adventures in UNsound: no. 65: Drink Drunk Drank Dronk

      Maandag, 26 Juni (17:30 - 19:00)

      "I am about to scramble my synapses on slivowitz"
      o J.P. Donleavy, "The Saddest Summer of Samuel S"

      Wreck This Mess: Something Is Wrong In The Land > First WTM ID 010190
      Yamantaka > Gyoto Monks
      + Shambala > Beastie Boys [1]
      M6 > Aube [2]
      L'Emprise Des Sens > Botom Botom [3]
      Le Bar [Popeye Peyote Stylee Mix] > Cornu vs Kid Loco [4]
      Sensi Drinka > Dub Wiser vs A. Adri [5]
      The Name of the Show is Wreck This Mess > Curd Duca
      I'll Never Drink Again > Headthrob [6]

      "Even though I have read a lot, I have drunk even more. I have
      written much less than most people who write; but have drunk much
      more than most people who drink."
      o Guy Debord, "Panegyric"

      Cocktail Bar > Monty Python [live]
      Somebody Buy Me A Drink > Oscar Brown Jr. [7]
      Liquordelic > Tipsy [8]
      Je Bois > Boris Vian [9]
      Intoxicated Man > Serge Gainsbourg [10]
      Jockey Full Of Bourbon > Tom Waits

      "You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." o
      Dean Martin

      Drunks & Trains > Henny Youngman
      America Drinks > Mothers of Invention
      Alcohol > Kinks
      Drinking Song > Loudon Wainwright III
      Al K Hall > Jasmine Bande [11]
      Likes Likker Better Than Me > Jackson Barn Owls [12]
      Papa Trinkt Bier > Udo Reichel Orchester [13]

      "Alcohol is like love, the first kiss is magic, the second intimate,
      the third routine. After that you just take the girl's clothes off."
      o Raymond Chandler, "The Long Goodbye"

      Delirium Tremens > Rhythm & Noise [15]
      Drink Leid > John Woodhouse & Rotterdam Opera Choir [14]
      At Jimmy's Bar > Django Reinhardt [16]
      6 Pak > Leon Russell
      Beer Beer Beer > Clancy Brothers
      Tequila > Wes Montgomery
      Whiskey Leid > Olleke Bolleke [17]
      Drunk Drunk Drunk > Kidds
      Booze Party > 3 Aces & A Joker
      Going Off Duty Station ID

      "I only drink to make other people seem more interesting." o George Jean Nathan

      [1] A perfect segue from the sacred to the insouciant.

      [2] Saw this Japanese-based ensemble at the recent "Japan
      Frequencies" show at the Paradiso as part of the annual Holland
      Festival. They were part of an evening of avant samplers and they
      blew everyone away. They created a wall of sound that was at once
      elemental and sophisticated. Simple is always best. Waves of bass
      that fluttered through our diaphragms and hair. You could feel your
      bones shaking loose from all cartilage and begin shifting around. If
      they had played any longer, a lot of us would have been rebuilt in
      unique new ways. You could actually FEEL the waves of sonic activated
      air sweep through your hair. This cut is off "Counterintelligence:
      Subproject 01" <www.noisemail.com>

      [3] "Wreck This Mess: Remission 2: Ambient-Industrial vs
      Electronic-Dub vs Hypnotic-Grooves" on Noise Museum
      <www.zone51.com/noisemuseum> This is volume 2 of the WTM series. It
      includes Twilight Circus, Spectre, Systemwide, Dub Factory,
      Extremadura, Botom Botom, Holon, Silk Saw, DJ Spooky, Egon Zo vs
      Digidub, Audio Active, Starfish Pool, Andrew Lagowski. Here Laurent
      expands the empire of WTM, into new unforeseen tympanic swirls. This
      is a painstakingly and precisely edited disc. He is very particular
      about what he likes and here it all fits into a meticulous polemic of
      sound and noise against hyper-mediated commerce. The Starfish Pool
      cut is pure beautiful insanity - a mechanical loop of menacing
      jangling machinery that ends up lilting along until you find yourself
      not scrunching your shoulders but unwinding. This cut is the sole
      French piece on #2. Very eccentric piece of trippy hop and sampling
      that pushes the envelope of dub to the far end of sound.

      [4] "Cornu" a CD-single on Island. For more info:
      <nicrichard@...> or <fanclub@...>. this beautiful
      Luna-esque sultry vocal combines the best of remixing, dubby beats
      thanx to Kid Loco and the voice of Julie Bonnie. Folksy, rootsy,
      reaching far out. Intimate and universal. Highly recommended.

      [5] "French Dub connection Vol. 2" on Echo Beach <www.echobeach.de>.
      Includes Aleem, Lab, the Djins, Oto Elektrik, High Tone, etc. The
      French are unique and exhibit a certain insane dedication to the
      roots of Dub and its utter delicious manglings. Fresh and true raving
      reverberations. Many of these bands have played the Batofar, one of
      the great [Dub] clubs in the world. With artwork again by Fred
      Voisin. This cut goes manic into hyperbeats while keeping the dub
      sensibility intact. As I have said when the beats go very very hyper
      the beats knock and melt into one another creating a beat not unlike
      the slowest most subterranean dub.

      [6] A delirious beats oriented hangover song of utter pain, humor,
      and empathy dating from 1988. "I am sure I will be OK / If I am just
      left aloneŠOh, god, I promise to never drink again / If you would
      just stop this throbbing in my head."

      [7] "Who exchanged a fine house for a flophouse, a bar and the klink
      / won't somebody buy me a drink."

      [8] "Trip Tease" by tipsy on Asphodel <www.asphodel.com> Is another
      excellent tongue-in-cheek low-life excursion into the manufactured
      ambiences of an era or a state of mind that never happened. Matin[i]
      Denny indeed.

      [9] "Boris Vian et ses Interpretes" on Polygram is an excellent
      introduction to the genius that was the songwriter side of Boris
      Vian. For more on Vian see my article on "I Spit on Your Graves" in
      ABR <http://www.litline.org/abr/abrjf98.html > or my "Boris Vian Gets
      Pataphysical", Profile of this multi-tentacled Jacques-of-all-trades
      in Gadfly <www.gadfly.org> SOON.

      [10] "Serge Gainsbourg du Jazz Dans le Ravin" on Philips, 1996, is
      truly a beautiful collection of his jazzier fare, some beautiful
      instrumentals like "Angoisse" which is truly memorable. Here he does
      his best imitation of / homage to Vian. Also rendered by Mick Harvey
      in English. For more on Gainsbourg check my "The Rascal as Cultural
      Provocateur- Serge Gainsbourg: Profile-review of View From The
      Exterior: Serge Gainsbourg "in ABR
      <http://www.litline.org/PDF/ABRMJ99plan.PDF>

      [11] "Didjohaffun" on Énorme in Paris. This transplanted USA ex-pat
      <jasbande@...> has been scorching the Paris nightlife with her
      spunky chansons for a few years now. Her naughty and acerbic take on
      life is a perfect extension of Piaf and other nocturnal chanteuses.
      She combines the brash with the riproaring rompishness. In an
      interview in Sept. 1998 Accordeon Magazine #15 she had this to say
      about the accordion: "It's a complete orchestra all in one; I love
      the accordion's look and plus it tickles your breasts!"

      [12] "Black & White Hillbilly Music: Early Harmonica Recordings from
      the 1920s & 30s" on Trikont
      <http://www.trikont.de/english/e_trikont.html>. This excellent label
      has an incredible backlist. Inspiring lyric: "My bones gonna rise
      again".

      [13] "Europa Hit parade #23" on Miller International. This nerdy disc
      is one of those generic greatest hits LPs with an incongruous bathing
      beauty frolicking in some waves.

      [14] "Leve de Opera" on Trent. This drinking song comes from the
      opera "La Traviata".

      [15] "Chasms Accord" on Asphodel <www.asphodel.com>. This is a very
      dark and eccentric collection of R&N odds & ends.

      [16] "Les Meilleurs" on some knock-off label called Disky. Reinhardt
      is one of my faves. He would have been the namesake of my baby had it
      been a boy. Django is a good name. Reinhardt plays guitar better with
      3 fingers than most could with 10.

      [17] "Olleke Bolleke" on Dureco. If Kiss had met Spike Jones in an
      Amsterdam brown café.

      "As I grew older I became a drunk. Why? Because I like ecstasy of
      the mind." o Jack Kerouac

      SDI > SELF DESTRUCTION INSURED > CONTACT ninplant@... FOR REMOVAL