Sonic Boom cd/book question

  • wheelhdog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6 9:46 AM
      Greetings!

      I've been lurking here for a few months and must say I really enjoy the range
      of artists and topics discussed here.

      I took advantage of that special offer to get the Sonic Boom 2 cd set and
      book last month and was wondering if anyone else had too. I was curious if
      all copies of the book
      are blank under Ryoji Ikeda's section? There's text but no pictures as with
      the other artists. The page numbers are 54 thru 57.

      Did anyone on the list go see the exhibit and if so do you have any thoughts
      or insights on it? I've yet to fully digest both cds and the book but so far
      it seems promising as far as "samplers" along these lines go. I really dig
      the sheer simpicity of "Guitar Drag" by Christian Marclay, that's the first
      thing that caught my ear/eye.

      Other artists I'm into at the moment: godspeed you black emperor! / The
      Flaming Lips
      Einsturzende Neubauten / A Perfect Circle / Erikki-Sven Tuur / Alan Lamb /
      Stuart Dempster / and I'm not kidding but I'm really looking forward to the
      new Bela Fleck & the Flecktones cd "Outbound" one track is described as
      being very John Zorn like.

      I guess that's enough for now,

      John
    • Peter Marsh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7 1:44 AM

        gary wrote:

        >of interest in the show: christina kubisch, brian eno, greyworld, ryoji
        >ikeda, paul schutze, and the work projecting images temporarily onto the
        >wall (unsure of the creators name!). i felt drawn to and inspired by those
        >works that i became enclosed, engulfed and surrounded by

        the bloke you've forgotten is disinformation (aka joe banks). i'd vote for
        guitar drag and the koner/eastley piece, which was the most immersive thing
        i saw/felt there. it was (for those who may be interested) a dark
        cylindrical space - faint projections on the wall, otherwise blackness.
        drones which (i think) were being produced by gongs (somehow being
        stroked/resonated) hung around the wall of the space, high above the
        listeners head. interesting that the exhibition has provoked a lot of
        discussion/dissension amongst people i've talked to, mainly hinging round
        the question of what is sound art and how or why does it differ from music.
        whatever, it was nice to see mr toop giving all his mates a job...

        cheers

        peter