weird pop

  • james kramer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3 9:59 PM
      One of my favorite "weird pop" bands is The Mabuses. They had two albums released on Rough Trade. One of them was also released on Shimmy Disc in the U.S. The singer/guitarist is named Kim Fahy, and has a very distinctive guitar sound and vocals. The vocals are sort of Syd Barrett sounding. He's fond of old movies, which is evidenced by the samples littered throughout the albums. Stuff like Norman Bates in Psycho, Peter Lorre in Arsenic and Old Lace, Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity. The sound of the albums is a very cool and original psych/pop/rock/noir. The second album was called The Melbourne Method and seemed to come and go without a trace. Maybe they got in trouble because of the samples on the album. There's also an album on Shimmy Disc called Fahy/Harley/Kramer-Egomaniacs which is amazing. It's like a psych/pop record recorded underwater. Anyone looking for weird pop should try it. It even has a track where an English person does a kind of "jive" interpretation of Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven. I don't know where the sample came from, but it's pretty amusing. Does anyone know what happened to Fahy/The Mabuses? The last record came out in 1994.