re: Anyone seen EN?

  • Taylor McLaren
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2000
      MEEP! codex99@... wrote:
      >On a different EN tip I saw a CD (I think by "FRY"? that features Chrislo
      >Haas, FM Einheit, Pan Sonic and others in some kind of new supergroup
      >project. Anyone know what this is?
      Gry is Einheit's most recent band; they've toured around North America a
      bit with assorted acts from Invisible Records (who have licensed a whole
      whack of Einheit's radio plays and dance pieces from Rough Trade in the
      last year or two), and were generally well-received by the Pigface crowd...
      somewhat song-oriented material backed up by a human beatbox (live, anyway)
      and some of the expecting clanging. They've got two or three CDs out now,
      including the recent one -- _Public Recording_ on FM 4.5.1 -- that is full
      of contributions by Pan Sonic and others. My understanding is that it isn't
      so much a "supergroup" effort as it is the result of Einheit working with a
      much younger vocalist (I forget her name), and most of the other involved
      parties were brought in for the sake of contributing sounds here and there.

      -me
    • Randy Gelling
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2000
        Increasingly these days I've felt myself a little burnt out on electronic
        music, whether techno or glitch, dub, experimental, free jazz, etc. Just a
        phase mind you but I'm really interested in weirdo/exp. pop things right
        now including: Dennis Wilson, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World, Mayo
        Thompson, Magnetic Fields, Barrett, Os Mutantes etc. Any recommendations
        for hidden treasures in this "genre" of pop/experimental whatever?
      • Jason Witherspoon
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2000
          >Increasingly these days I've felt myself a little burnt out on electronic
          >music, whether techno or glitch, dub, experimental, free jazz, etc. Just a
          >phase mind you but I'm really interested in weirdo/exp. pop things right
          >now including: Dennis Wilson, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World, Mayo
          >Thompson, Magnetic Fields, Barrett, Os Mutantes etc. Any recommendations
          >for hidden treasures in this "genre" of pop/experimental whatever?

          The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. Warner Bros. is too
          clueless to release/license this stuff properly, even though it goes
          for big $$$ on auction (& I can walk in to an oldies/psych store &
          choose from, like, 4 Mungo Fucking Jerry compilations-- what kind of
          a shit-splattered world is this?); but I strongly feel they'd be
          right up yr alley given the above list, esp. volume 3, "A Child's
          Guide to Good & Evil", & volume 2--

          There were some bootleg reissues (v1&2 on one cd, v3&4 on tother) on,
          ahem, the fanclub "Head" label.

          Speaking of which, if you don't have the Monkees "Head" soundtrack,
          that'd definitely be worth yr while too-- and _Pisces, Aquarius,
          Capricorn, Jones_ (whatever) is no slouch, either.

          A random list of top-notch weirdo/psych/exp. pop:

          White Noise (_Electric Storm_)
          United States of America
          Lothar & the Hand People
          Ultimate Spinach ("Hip Death Goddess")
          Maitreya Kali
          Twink
          Damon

          Anyone heard/can confirm the rumor that the Moolah album is being
          reissued by some Euro label??

          Depending on how deep yr into the Mutantes phenom, I could recommend
          Tropicália albums til the cows come home, but one psychpop gem I
          consider particularly underrecognized would be those Secos e Molhados
          albums. That & anything recorded in '69 by Gal, Gilberto or Caetano--

          From yr electronica burnout list, above, it sounds like you've been
          soaking in some of the more willfully avant edges of the genre-- some
          of my fave stuff of late has been electronica:

          Joakin Lone Octet -- _Tiger Sushi_
          Universal Being -- _Jupiter_ (just stumbled onto this one)
          While/Funkstörung/Push Button Objects
          Amon Tobin -- _Supermodified_
          P'taah -- _Compressed Light_
          Soul Clique
          Milk Cult

          That and old bugalú/latin soul/jazz albums on Tico, Alegre, Cotique,
          & Fania have been what's floatin' my musical boat of late.

          While I'm rambling on at near-infinite length, can anyone comment
          upon pre-"Vienna" Ultravox/solo John Fox for me? I've heard
          _Metamatics_ is near-Tubeway Army quality stuff--
          --

          Jason Witherspoon
          ICQ #62837760

          ---------
          ----O----
          --- ---
          --- ---
          ----O----
          ---------
          com/~arz
          http://www.best.com/~arzachel
          www.best.com/~arzachel
          best.com/~a
        • Hille, Per-Christian
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2000
            > The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. ...
            .....but I strongly feel they'd be
            > right up yr alley given the above list, esp. volume 3, "A Child's
            > Guide to Good & Evil", & volume 2--

            "Part One" is good aswell. Edsel compiled most of that and half of "Vol. 2"
            on the "Transparent Day" LP; long deleted but probably easier to
            find/cheaper than the originals. Not too long ago most of the WCPAEB
            catalogue was available on semi(?)legal Greek vinyl-reissues, including
            mainman Bob Markley's solo project "A Group". Quite good if you happen to
            stumble over it.

            A personal fave in the weird pop genre is Kaleidoscope (US version); their
            hybrid of Eastern vibes, Louisiana spice and psychedelic grooves still sound
            wonderful.

            And there are some out-there, experimental gems to be found in the easy
            listening/incredibly strange/exotica and soundtrack bins: Peter Thomas, Mr.
            Bloe, Les Baxter's "Dunwich Horror" strck., Gainsbourg/Birkin, Morricone,
            and electronica pioneers to many to mention.

            .... anything recorded in '69 by Gal, Gilberto or Caetano--

            Nothing particularly wrong with their 68 output either I reckon.

            Per-Christian
          • Hille, Per-Christian
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2000
              > >. Any recommendations
              > >for hidden treasures in this "genre" of pop/experimental whatever?

              A lot of early 80's New Zealand and Oz stuff had a wonderfully off-centre
              approach. Lots of fond memories of The Laughing Clowns and the first 2 Ed
              Kuepper albums (on Hot), and of course the Flying Nun label; early Chills,
              Tall Dwarfs, Jean-Paul Sartre Experience, Verlaines etc. "Tuatara" is one
              of the best label-compilations ever. Apparently still available at
              http://flyingnun.co.nz
              Per-Christian
            • Peter Marsh
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2000
                randy wrote;

                >I'm really interested in weirdo/exp. pop things right
                >now including: Dennis Wilson, Kevin Ayers and the Whole World, Mayo
                >Thompson, Magnetic Fields, Barrett, Os Mutantes etc. Any recommendations
                >for hidden treasures in this "genre" of pop/experimental whatever?

                try Spirit's 'Future Games' (1977). probably available in the bargain bins
                even now (not available on cd and probably shouldn't be). don't be put off
                by the cover (a rather musclebound randy california with his shirt off
                clutching a les paul). it's a collection of (by turns) psychedelic, inane,
                and gorgeous songs linked together with fake CB radio conversations and much
                found voices off the tv (usually from dodgy sci-fi programmes). songs start
                and finish abruptly - some stop halfway through and start again with a
                completely different mix. listening to it now even some 20 years after
                discovering it, it still makes me wonder what was buzzing round mr
                california's cranium at the time...pretty much unlike anything else i've
                ever heard.

                cheers

                peter
              • Nigel Turner
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2000
                  > Any recommendations for hidden treasures in this "genre" of
                  > pop/experimental whatever?

                  I think you'll find that Pop-Off Tuesday, from Osaka, are just what
                  the doctor ordered. Bablicon, from Chicago, too - though though they are
                  less pop and more 'out there' jazz, but definitely a treasure. (Apologies
                  for the length of the following reviews).

                  Pop-Off Tuesday 'Pop-Off Tuesday'
                  "Hiroki plays 'machines' and Minori supplies the vocals
                  and guitar. They don't seem committed to any one style, except that it
                  all sounds like a dreamily stoned soundtrack to a series of
                  multicoloredminimovies that float by in a hazy flowing progression of
                  captivating imaginations in full flower. Radiating their neon ghostly
                  glowing, and genre leaping tripped-hop soul pop nearly Lusciously
                  Jacksonian, but never so funky or hyper. Cibo Matto maybe, but even more
                  madly stoned and poppy. It's almost lazy, moving in slow shimmering
                  waves, deeply seductive grooves, dub-skeletal pulsings, rich melodic
                  folk-pop structures extended into new territories of luxury and ease.
                  Unslick and nearly transparent like a beautifully delicate insect held
                  up to the sunlight, and not unlike a female voiced Japanese Hood on at
                  least a track or two, but it's never in the same place for long, and
                  though the menu keeps shifting, it's all so damn good, crazy good, like
                  a fox crazy, like pop genius flow. Pop-Off Tuesday, where gentle
                  experimentalism can come right up to the sweet swirling pop surface and
                  take a long deep breath while looking you right in the eyes. Truly
                  incredible!"
                  George Parsons DREAM Magazine

                  "The sense of flow is wonderful, the tunes are great and although
                  there is a lot going on, nothing is overdone. In time this album could - and
                  certainly should - become regarded as an underground milestone and its sense
                  of the mysterious will always beguile" ....John Cavanagh, Boa fanzine

                  "A truly magnificent record, which a brooding sense of mystery
                  serves only to enhance. Pop Off Tuesday are the end of pop music: nothing
                  can follow this and measure up" ....Robots & Electronic Brains

                  "[Bablicon] are a be-suited trio who deconstruct jazz with a
                  ferocity but innate musicality and grooviness which beggars belief" ...Joe
                  Cushley, Mojo

                  "When they pick up speed with their deliriously satisfying webs of
                  bass/soprano sax hypnotics, [Bablicon] start to approximate the metallic
                  backbone that Beefheart never had." ....David Keenan, The Wire

                  "Bablicon... either have a wicked sense of humour or they really are
                  the fly in the ointment" ...Mark Barton, Record Mart & Buyer

                  "Like label mates Pop-Off Tuesday, there's a total disregard for,
                  and often disdain of, convention and a boundless yearning for new sounds,
                  outer-space sounds, ancient jazz sounds, mis-matched and unsound sounds" .
                  ...Jimmy Possession, Robots & Electronic Brains

                  Nigel Turner

                  Pickled Egg Records
                  19 College Avenue, Leicester LE2 0JF, England
                  fax: +44 870 088 4738
                  e-mail: nigelt@...
                  http://www.pickled-egg.co.uk/pickled-egg/

                  pop-off tuesday... bablicon... gulliver...
                  daniel johnston ... volcano the bear ...
                  sodastream... evoltion control committee
                  l'augmentation... savoy grand...
                  big eyes... the freed unit... le bleu...
                  by coastal café... valvola... farina...
                  marshmallow coast... the go team...

                  "It's fun as well as food!"
                • Randy Gelling
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 4, 2000
                    Thanks for the many suggestions, BTW a friend just offered to lend me a
                    Tom Ze CD. One of my "guilty pleasures" right now (although I think it's
                    quite good actually, but some would think I'm crazy) is an old album by
                    Armand Van Helden called Sampleslaya: Enter the Meatmarket, a fractured,
                    brilliant hip-house instrumental album that puts Moby and Fatboy Slim to
                    shame. Nothing else by Van Helden quite matches this album, which I've
                    read was considered a major flop. What do other people out there think?
                    Anyone heard it?