Re: 7" singles

  • Hille, Per-Christian
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28 5:16 AM
      > of the Atlantic, releasing a variety of wierd and wonderful little
      > 7"s, some on coloured vinyl, many with handmade sleeves and inserts.
      > I started buying anything that 'looked' interesting - never mind
      > what the music sounded like!!!

      Basically the 7" single as artefact then? Which I'm in no way knocking; god
      knows how many records I've bought for the packaging (Stereolabs "The In
      Sound" springs to mind), and just as many records I didn't buy merely
      because I missed out on the first 33 purple vinyl copies.
      But personally I got bored with it; there's was a limit to how many
      identical sounding (more or less) indiepop or postrock artefacts I felt I
      needed.
      (That said, I'd gladly pick up any and every pop EP made in France in the
      60's just for their picture-sleeves. Pieces of art the lot!)
      Per-Christian
    • Ryan Whitehead
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28 5:24 PM
        there are the relatively-rare non-rock/pop contemporary 7"s. The Kriesel
        series of minimal electronics comes to mind (i've listened to a few, though
        the volume is daunting--1 a week for all of 99 if not more. any
        recommendations?). a recent 7" by stock hausen & walkmen is nice, a few on
        v/vm including the commented on reconstruction of nwa by kid-606 (stuttering
        dementia of "ak-47 is a tool"), a few others by kid-606 and lesser are out
        there as well, a nice one a year ago on machineblau (?) by scud and nomex
        (noizecore they say on bentcrayon), the recent yo la tengo jazz workouts of
        "now 2000/excalibur", a christian marclay/otomo yoshihide piece, numerous
        works by organum. they're out there.

        though i'm no scholar on the subject, it seems to bear mentioning that one
        of the heydays of the 7" was 60's-70's funk/r&b (along with the even more
        rarified tracks on acetates). lots of great comps out there on labels such
        as BBE, harmless, etc. check em' out at dustygrooves. one worthy of mention,
        and the connection of this groove to the list, is Funk Spectrum 2, one disk
        of which was selected by mr. josh davis. and no discussion of this subject
        would be complete without mention of mr. davis' and cut chemist's Brain
        Freeze which, in a complex metamorphosis, fetishized a cd mix of many
        fetishized 7"s including the masterful cut "do the slurp" issued by 7-11
        (see the importance of the 7"). the potency of the show centered in part on
        a lot of novelty 7"s used to prime effect by z-trip: odd football shaped
        disks, triangular discs, sound effects, cartoons, all kinds of bizarre
        waxworks that are out there lurking under a floral print muu-muu in a thrift
        store near you.

        seek and ye shall find.
        rw
      • rfaith