RE: [thewire] interesting article on 7" singles/good ban

  • Hille, Per-Christian
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2000
      > ...It's great fun coming home after a
      > Stereolab concert, throwing the colored tour vinyl on the turntable
      > and admiring the sleeve artwork while you listen to something
      > brand new that wouldn't have fit comfortably in context of an Lp.
      > Long live 7" singles

      Yeah, the lab singles are always fun; these days they constitute almost 50%
      av my total 7" purchases. Knowing they'll have doubled in value 2 weeks
      after buying them is an added bonus. Not that I'd even consider selling
      them; it's just fun to know there are people out there who would glady part
      with a weeks (months?) wages for my pink vinyl "John Cage Bubblegum"
      including a stick of bubblegum. (But how to keep it from crumbling to
      pieces...?)
      But tour-singles: a valid entry to an artists discography, or a throwaway
      novelty item? Would they really "waste" their best stuff on a few 100
      devotees?
      Per-Christian
    • kevin king
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2000
        > But tour-singles: a valid entry to an artists
        > discography, or a throwaway novelty item? Would they really "waste"
        > their best stuff on a few 100 devotees?

        Valid entry I'd say (in particular with Stereolab, many do consider
        the singles to be their best material - though I don't agree with
        this). I'd guess they do the singles for the love of it, and as another
        creative outlet. They're confessed vinyl fetishists themselves of
        course. The quantity pressed has increased over the years as
        they've realised fans can't have enough, and you can't say they're
        not generous as they regularly put out those compilations of
        rarities. It's a different medium. And with a prolific group like the
        lab, it's no surprise that after producing one of their meticulously
        constructed Lp's there's plenty of other material done out of context
        waiting to be recorded. Doesn't make it any less valid.
      • manny@telerama.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28, 2000
          true there are much less 7's coming out of standard indie rock, but you
          are fooling yourself (or not very informed) if you believe that the 7"
          is dead. in the screamo/emo/crust/grind/core world, 7"s are still being
          issued and sold in large numbers, and in the experimental scene there are
          still a fair number of 7"s coming out, which i can see on sale in
          RRR & Anomalous catalogs etc (unfortunately some other experimental
          catalogs refuse to bother carrying 7"s anymore). what *is* unfair is
          the prices some of the experimental 7"s are going for - like that
          Brainwashed label which sells 7"s for $8 each, even though they are
          pressed in about the same quantity as any punk 7" which would still go
          for $3-$4. there's no excuse for that.