Re: Noise Bands

  • Anders Dahl
    Message 1 of 9 , May 29, 1997
      >From: Anna Clare McDuff <psp01acm@...>
      >
      >On Fri, 29 May 1998, ianw wrote:
      >>
      >> it was interesting chancing on the "what's music" fest last year in
      >> Melbourne: the different "genres" [japanese, nz, us, australia] were quite
      >> distinct.. even obvious differences betw Sydney and Melbourne participants
      >> ... much to the chagrin of the folks at home who weren't invited (on
      >> account of no-one, *no-one*, knowing we/they exist), the Brisbane chapter
      >> [see also <http://128.250.153.246/spill/compilations.html#one>] was not
      >> represented.
      >>
      >> mmm, this discussion of whether females exist reminds me of the apparent
      >> non-existence of all sorts of stuff.
      >
      > Mmmmmm..... I know what you mean :-) There's one difference
      >though... we females *do* make up slightly more than half the population
      >of the world.....
      >
      > Anna

      Not the female alternative alternative composers/musicians though... ;-)

      anders.
    • Anders Dahl
      Message 2 of 9 , May 29, 1997
        >From: Anna Clare McDuff <psp01acm@...>

        >> > Mmmmmm..... I know what you mean :-) There's one difference
        >> >though... we females *do* make up slightly more than half the population
        >> >of the world.....
        >> >
        >> > Anna
        >> >

        >> Not the female alternative alternative composers/musicians though... ;-)
        >>
        > I repeat... there are many many more of 'em that you'd ever know
        >from reading the music press!
        >
        > Anna

        I mean counting how large share of earths population is male "alternative
        alternative composers/musicians". There cannot possibly be a major share of
        female ones. I have to admit I only have one female aac/m (alternative
        alternative composers/musicians) in my record collection, Pauline
        Olivieros. Probably due to underexposure. But I'm just as curious as Paul
        Gough.

        anders.
      • Andy Mell
        Message 3 of 9 , May 28, 1998
          > From: "Andrew Grant" <stoic@...>

          > That said, here's a question I've always wanted to > ask. Can
          someone explain
          > a bit more about the noise bands? I own several
          > CDs by Masonna, Borbetomagus and some > Japanese band whose name
          escapes me at the
          > moment. Though I don't write them off as just
          > 'noise', I think I'm missing something. Has anyone > ever written a
          primer on 'How to Listen to Noise
          > Bands'?

          Hi all,

          As a follow up question - how do these 'noise' bands compare to the
          'Free Noise' contingent - is it that they plan what noise to make, or
          are they strands of the same genre?

          If the two are in a similar area then I would recommend the booklet
          accompanying 'Is Alan Licht the Evan Dando of Noise?' release by Alan
          Licht on Corpus Hermeticum, a readable and entertaining explanation /
          discussion of free noise concepts & scope. The music is not bad either.

          Cheers, Andy

        • Paul Gough
          Message 4 of 9 , May 29, 1998
            Andy wrote

            >Though I don't write them off as just 'noise', I think I'm missing
            something.

            Personally (and this is my opinion folks) I find the abrasive stuff I can
            handle in small doses only...I prefer an ebb and flow, a landscape that
            can incorporate all facets..ghostly whispers through to slabs of screeech...

            I remember buying a cassette years ago on the Terse label (Severed Heads
            honcho T.Ellard's effort) and it was some Texan noise thing that consisted
            of vacuum cleaner feedback + shortwave intereference at such levels that even
            on tape it brought a tear to the eye...it was unrelenting for 60 minutes...

            I know there are those that will and CAN justify what they are doing...I guess
            I'm just asking for it not to be performed in my backyard....

            ....please..

            paul
          • ianw
            Message 5 of 9 , May 29, 1998
              > of vacuum cleaner feedback + shortwave intereference at such levels that

              it was interesting chancing on the "what's music" fest last year in
              Melbourne: the different "genres" [japanese, nz, us, australia] were quite
              distinct.. even obvious differences betw Sydney and Melbourne participants
              ... much to the chagrin of the folks at home who weren't invited (on
              account of no-one, *no-one*, knowing we/they exist), the Brisbane chapter
              [see also <http://128.250.153.246/spill/compilations.html#one>] was not
              represented.

              mmm, this discussion of whether females exist reminds me of the apparent
              non-existence of all sorts of stuff.

              ==ian=
            • Anna Clare McDuff
              Message 6 of 9 , May 29, 1998

                Message 7 of 9 , May 29, 1998
                  On Thu, 29 May 1997, Anders Dahl wrote:

                  > >> mmm, this discussion of whether females exist reminds me of the apparent
                  > >> non-existence of all sorts of stuff.
                  > >
                  > > Mmmmmm..... I know what you mean :-) There's one difference
                  > >though... we females *do* make up slightly more than half the population
                  > >of the world.....
                  > >
                  > > Anna
                  > >

                  > Not the female alternative alternative composers/musicians though... ;-)

                  I repeat... there are many many more of 'em that you'd ever know
                  from reading the music press!

                  Anna
                • Oeivind Idsoe
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 31, 1998
                    Tom Ewing wrote:

                    > It's the justification that interests me, though. I like the idea of a "How
                    > To Listen To Noise" article, not so much as a consumer guide but as a
                    > compendium of different approaches to noise (noise as
                    > political/philosophical idea, the erotics of noise, noise as rock'n'roll
                    > gesture, noise as free musical expression, etc. etc.)

                    That would be interesting, yes.

                    Remember that article in a recent Wire about Alec Empire? Apparently the founder
                    of
                    Mille Plateaux (the label) disagreed with Mr. Empire concerning the political
                    implications of noise -- basically he said it lends itself to fascism -- which
                    then
                    lead to a semi-split-up of their relationship (for instance, there was no Alec
                    E. on
                    the latest Electric Ladyland comp (vol. 5), although he's been on the first
                    four).

                    That's one view.

                    > Cheers,
                    > Tom.