  • MrRoachBug@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2000
      I went to see Mouse On Mars live last saturday (April
      29th). I had read the positive reviews and was a bit
      worried that it was hero worship from slobbering fans
      who would love a MOM show even if it blew. I was
      pleased to be incorrect. The show was incredible! They
      worked around the impossible breakbeat problem
      masterfully, I think. Also, they played an even amount
      of music from their earlier albums rather than focusing
      only on the last couple. I was glad, because I don't
      much care for the newest. Chicago Underground Duo
      opened for them and were also good. I had seen CUD
      before and actually preferred the first show, because
      they were touring with Brokeback and members of both
      groups played in each other's sets. At THIS show the
      feeling wasn't quite as sweet, though it was still
      pretty good. MOM joined them for a jam or two but
      nothing truly inspired came of it. The show was in
      Columbus (Ohio) at a place called Firexit, which is
      actually a big dilapidated old house painted ugly bright
      pink on the outside. Inside was a big main room in
      which the bands played, and the whole rest of the house
      was filled with bizarre and mostly extremely interesting
      (sometimes disturbingly beautiful, even) art
      installations. Most notably, the basement was filled
      with clear plastic body bags suspended from the ceiling,
      all containing (lit) light bulbs and various plastic
      (perhaps some real) tree branches. It was beautiful.
      Most of the people down there were too busy smoking weed
      to notice, though.

      The house is so old that the floor felt as if it were
      going to give when the crowd danced to MOM. It didn't,
      but at least there would have been body bags handy.