Re: [thewire] Re Minatures

  • Steven Taylor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
      I dont think anyone has mentioned it yet but theres also the Gescom Minidisc
      on Or.
      88 tracks, 67 mins. Makes good use of minidiscs seamless looping function.

      Steev

      Big Block 454 wrote:

      > More info about "Minatures".
      >
      > "Minatures, a sequence of fifty-one tiny masterpieces", edited by
      > Morgan Fisher, Pipe Records (pipe2), 1980. Pipe Records seemed to
      > have been connected to Cherry Red.
      >
      > Some of the more famous artists on it include The Residents, Roger
      > McGough, John Otway, Robert Wyatt, Fred Frith, George Melly, Robert
      > Fripp, Andy Partridge (XTC), Quentin Crisp, Ivor Cutler, Michael
      > Nyman and Pete Seeger.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Colin
      >
      > Big Block 454, Manchester, England
      >
      > The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
      > http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
      > mp3.com
      > http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
      > Email :
      > bb454@...

    • Steven Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
        Miniatures is available on Voiceprint these days:

        http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/blueprint/bp159.htm

        I couldnt mention that without also mentioning 'Slow Music' by Morgan
        Fisher/Lol Coxhill, really *nice* improvised electronics and treated sax,
        the shorter tracks especially. Not scary for improv virgins like myself...

        http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/blueprint/bp160.htm

        Steev

        Big Block 454 wrote:

        > More info about "Minatures".
        >
        > "Minatures, a sequence of fifty-one tiny masterpieces", edited by
        > Morgan Fisher, Pipe Records (pipe2), 1980. Pipe Records seemed to
        > have been connected to Cherry Red.
        >
        > Some of the more famous artists on it include The Residents, Roger
        > McGough, John Otway, Robert Wyatt, Fred Frith, George Melly, Robert
        > Fripp, Andy Partridge (XTC), Quentin Crisp, Ivor Cutler, Michael
        > Nyman and Pete Seeger.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Colin
        >
        > Big Block 454, Manchester, England
        >
        > The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
        > http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
        > mp3.com
        > http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
        > Email :
        > bb454@...

      • Rod Stasick
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
          I know that I have some various experimental
          recordings that have tracks that number in the
          80's and 90's - I believe one that consists of 99
          tracks!, but I need to sift to find...

          This is from an "othermusic" new release post
          ("miniatures 2"):

          Rod

          project (and
          nearly that long in the
          gathering), composer/compiler Morgan Fisher
          returns with 60 tiny,
          one-minute-long sound pieces, recorded
          specifically for this. "Miniatures"
          (1) stunningly captured a cross-section between
          punk, spoken word, and the
          avant-garde (and we still carry it, on CD since
          1994). This one celebrates
          global culture and the avant-garde, and has,
          certainly, a difference due to
          maturity. While his aesthetic has shifted (and
          yes, there are about a
          handful of new-agey tracks that need to be
          skipped!), so has his
          locale -- the set of musicians is gathered from
          more of an Eastern
          perspective, including a lot of obscure Japanese
          composers and musicians.
          Acknowledging the equality of creative pursuits,
          among the 60 are John Paul
          Jones, Jane Campion, Howard Jones, Michael Nyman,

          Terry Riley, Moondog,
          Ottmar Liebert, Milladoiro, and fantastic tracks
          from Piero Milesi,
          Tananas, Daniel Figgis, Komitas Vardapet (rec.
          1912!). The collection of a
          long-time musical networker, shared.<<<<<<

          =====
          http://rostasi.8m.com
          http://www.forcedexposure.com/labels/bremsstrahlung.html

          "I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." - Winston Bennett, Univ. of KY basketball forward

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Gwendal Cobert
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2000
            Since it does not seem to have been mentioned so far...
            DJ Assault, from one of the Detroit techno imprints, has released a series
            of mix CDs "Straight up techno shit from Detroit" which all have 99 tracks
            on them, which probably explains why the overall feeling is so crazy. And
            talking about Detroit mixes, the latest mix from Richie Hawtin could almost
            fit in here, since it must have something like 30 tracks.
            Gwendal