short tracks

  • martindx
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 28, 2000
      I've been reading loads of short stories
      today i got'surface tension' by howard skempton
      and one thing i really like is that the tracks are all real short & there's
      28 of 'em.
      so i was wondering what other albums people know full of short tracks.
      i've got state of the union which takes it to extreems 2cds &147 tracks!
      martin
    • Rob Thornton
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 28, 2000
        On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, martindx wrote:

        > I've been reading loads of short stories
        > today i got'surface tension' by howard skempton
        > and one thing i really like is that the tracks are all real short & there's
        > 28 of 'em.
        > so i was wondering what other albums people know full of short tracks.

        my vote for a great "short track" album is for God Is My Co-Pilot's "I Am
        Not This Body." A fine set of damaged artrock with 34 tracks--they
        average around 1 min-1:30 (or even less) if i remember correctly. "Body"
        is one of my all-time faves....

        robt
      • David Shulman
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 28, 2000

          > > so i was wondering what other albums people know full of short tracks.

          naked city's 'torture garden' also comes to mind.
        • Big Block 454
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2000
            "The Commercial Album" by The Residents - 40 tracks, each 1 minute
            long.

            "Miniatures", edited by Morgan Fisher, 51 1-minute songs by various
            artists.

            A lot of Big Block 454 songs, such as "Vector Analysis Can Be Fun".
            Less than 1 minute long - hey, I've said all I want to say in that
            time, why drag it out any longer ?

            Check it out at
            http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454

            Cheers,
            Colin

            Big Block 454, Manchester, England

            The Official Big Block 454 Non-Ironic Web Site
            http://www.bigblock454.mcmail.com
            mp3.com
            http://www.mp3.com/bigblock454
            Email :
            bb454@...
          • Taylor McLaren
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29, 2000
              MEEP! martindx@... wrote:
              >so i was wondering what other albums people know full of short tracks.
              I've always been partial to the Ramones' live albums, though some of the
              songs on those can push their way all the way to being almost two and a
              half minutes long.
              Much of Naked City's early output, especially _Torture Garden_, is short
              and spastic, and the same can be said for Pain Killer's _Guts of a Virgin_.
              Similarly, many of John Zorn's _Filmworks_ discs contain heaps and heaps of
              minute-long cues for assorted film projects.

              Lately, though, I've been spending an inordinate amount of time listening
              to Ute Lemper's new disc, _Punishing Kiss_. I'm still not sure if I think
              that it sounds like anything quite so much as it does an Andrew Lloyd
              Webber musical trying to be gutsy and adventurous (though Lemper's voice
              frequently steps past the too-clean production and big stage feel of the
              instrumental arrangements), and I was wondering what else people could
              recommend in the way of modern updates of the feel of Weimar Republic
              cabaret material. Marianne Faithfull's two discs of that sort of stuff
              (_The Seven Deadly Sins_ and _20th Century Blues_) have really impressed
              me, and Hal Willner's _September Songs_ had some interesting high points,
              but surely there is more out there than just a bunch of Kurt Weill covers?
              Maybe some Eisler material? Anybody?

              -me
            • Haslinger Stefan
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 29, 2000
                also
                one of the first melt banana albums "cactuses come in flocks" and
                jad fair & half japanes "the band that would be king" are to be
                recommended.
                hasi
                aus aktuellem anlass:
                http://www.gettoattack.net

                mailto:hasi@...
                http://www.servus.at/w8
                phone: +43-7242-56375
                +43-664-5911812
              • Alex Stone
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29, 2000
                  >but surely there is more out there than just a bunch of Kurt Weill covers?
                  >Maybe some Eisler material? Anybody?

                  How about Tom Wait's The Black Rider? That has the kind of feel. Dagmar
                  Krause's Tank Battles is, if I recall, Eisler material - although I found
                  it hard to listen to. Gavin Friday tries his best, sometimes. And who was
                  that woman who made a record with a title concerning a dead father on an
                  ironing board (or did I hallucinate that?) Sorry for being vague.
                • Jeremy Hicks
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000

                    >"The Commercial Album" by The Residents - 40 tracks, each 1 minute
                    >long.
                    >
                    >"Miniatures", edited by Morgan Fisher, 51 1-minute songs by various
                    >artists.
                    >
                    >A lot of Big Block 454 songs,

                    Another worthy candidate might be Wire's Pink Flag - 21 songs in 40 minutes.
                    All of them catchy:)

                    Cheers,

                    Jeremy Hicks
                  • Paul
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                      There's "_ ,!_;_:!_7:+!_-+;,.!_g-7/;7_,.;y!_g;,/+Xg;+:yXgg,.-" by i.d. 121
                      bits that lasts about 4 minutes or so...

                      http://fals.ch/fXz/z1.pl?fz=s3t

                      Paul
                    • mik
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 30, 2000
                        JUST ANOTHER ASSHOLE - 77 tracks x :45 sec x 83 artists

                        mik

                        p.s. I used to collect music of less than a minute, ending up with 3 very
                        varied (grindcore next to webern, medieval dance next to free improv, etc.
                        etc.) 90 min. cassettes with each about 100 tracks, not two of the same
                        artist, composer, group, ...

                      • R. Lim
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1 11:39 AM
                          On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, martindx wrote:

                          > so i was wondering what other albums people know full of short tracks.

                          A particular favorite of mine is the _Tokyo Anal Dynamite_ CD, from the
                          Gerogerigegege. I think it runs through about 70 tracks in 30 minutes,
                          including some covers. All told, it's definitely a high point of the
                          hardcore/noise nexus (which came to be fertily mined in the mid 90s emo
                          rebirth. You certainly haven't lived until you've heard the cover of
                          "Boys Don't Cry" (transcribed as follows):

                          "boy-zu dohn cry 1-2-3-4 [followed by wall of potentially bulldozer-inflicted
                          devastation]"

                          There's sort of a "sequel" album called _Instruments Disorder_ that goes
                          for 170 songs in about 45 minutes (not individually tracked, sadly), but
                          despite the presence of Tatsuya Yoshida, it pales in comparison.

                          -rob
                        • scott v
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1 2:49 PM
                            i figure i'd throw my 2 cents in to this...

                            Otomo Yoshihide's "The Night Before The Death Of The Sampling Virus"
                            on Extreme Records, 77 tracks (or "viruses" that is) in approx. 53 1/2
                            minutes. This cd is meant to be enjoyed while utilizing all of your cd
                            player's functions/modes: random/shuffle, fast forward & rewind,
                            repeat...etc.

                            also there is "Vinyl Tranquilizer" on Sonic Factory which is 60 tracks
                            (capsules) lasting 60 minutes, each track is 1 minute long. Dosage: 10
                            capsules 1/2 hour before sleep, repeat dose every night if required. and it
                            works for me!!!

                            --Scott
                          • Hille, Per-Christian
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2 1:58 AM
                              > shortest song: "all" by descendents, on their sst album "all" -
                              > was just a shout: "all!" accompanied by a guitar stroke - less than 1
                              > second i think...

                              That actually reminds me of Red Krayola'a "Listen to this" (someone says
                              "listen to this", a powerchord, and that's it. A few seconds at the most.
                              Incredibly this track was covered by the Soup Dragons many years back.
                              Per-Christian
                            • james kramer
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2 4:15 PM
                                Yes-Tales from Topographic Oceans

                              • Zachary Hastings Hooper
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 5 4:39 AM
                                  has anyone mentioned the Minutemen (with their stated mission of never
                                  recording a track longer than a minute) or the Gorilla Biscuits (i seem to
                                  recall a 100+ tracks on one CD)? actually, a number of punk/hardcore bands
                                  went this route...

                                  cheers-
                                  zhh