Luc Ferrari

  • scott v
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 21 5:31 PM
      I just ordered Luc Ferrari's "Danses Organiques" from Forced Exposure and
      was wondering if anyone has heard it and what they thought.

      --Scott
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 25 6:04 AM
        I\'ll second this. The other disc released on this label
        is good too, though i only skimmed over it. Can\'t
        remember the exact name, andre allmura (??). definitely
        two a-s.

        brian

        >bought it, but only listened to it briefly. there is
        >pretty much
        > unaccompanied dialog in there, and some crazy
        >electronics.
        > robert

      • Ryan Whitehead
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
          The list is thorough, but I'm not sure it doesn't give the fractures
          thatwill allow decisions to be made. I don't have my discs with me, so I
          can't be really specific, but the INA GRM Presque Rien contains some
          electro-acoustic pieces that are more obviously composed as music (or poems
          or assemblages of sound) and others that are more documentary (illustrative
          of place, a sea side). Concensus, if it can be trusted, and influence would
          make Presque Rien the natural starting point (though any curiosity about how
          Ferrari got to that point will then have to be undertaken archeologically).
          I like Interrupteur/Tautologos 3 quite a bit as well and it shows a very
          different side: composition for instruments that are then processed and
          played with electronics (vague and perhaps slightly inaccurate, but conveys
          the point ... these aren't sequestered tape chopping experiments). One
          that's not on your list--understandably--is Danses Organiques. I bring it up
          because the concept of the secret conversational life of girls often
          intrigues people with its promise of something voyeuristic, perhaps erotic.
          Thought not among his best pieces, its pseudo-documentary tape style shows
          how far away from academic "acousmatic" music Ferrari was capable of moving.
          Hybrids are in many ways the key to Ferrari ... very transformable ...
          unlike many of the other scions of electroacoustic/ INA-GRM.

          Nobody's jumped on the Gerard Grisey side of the equation? What's he all
          about? Any takers?

          Oh, and there was some debate a while back about the "avant-garde" series of
          LPs ... was there any conclusion on whether or not DG was going to get it
          together and reissue them on CD?

          Presque,
          Rien_Whitehead

          > >Anyway, back to the music. Anyone have any suggestions of good starting
          > >points for the music of Luc Ferrari and Gerard Grisey? I've heard music
          >by
          > >both in concerts, been impressed and want to hear more. Contributions
          > >gratefully received.
          >
          >for Luc Ferrari I recommend:
          >
          >-Acousmatrix 3: Electronic Works [BVHaast] CD
          >-Vol. 1: Chansons Pour le Corps/Et Si Toute Entiere
          >Maintenant...(Icebreaker...Supposing Now I Were To...) [Mode] CD
          >-Presque Rien [INA GRM] CD (I think this is out of print)
          >-Interrupteur/Tautologos 3 [Blue Chopsticks] CD
          >-Presque Rien No. 1 / Societie II [Duecshte Grammophone "avant garde"
          >series] LP (hard to find & out of print)
          >-Und so Weiter / Music Promenade [Wergo] LP (hard to find & out of print)
          >-Hetereozygote [Phillips] LP (hard to find & out of print)
          >

          >--Scott

        • Guillaume Grenier
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
            On 29/09/01 21:47, Ryan Whitehead said in living color:

            > Nobody's jumped on the Gerard Grisey side of the equation? What's he all
            > about? Any takers?

            Well, as far as basic info goes, he's one of the founder of the spectral
            movement. Was part of the "L'Itinéraire" group which include[d?] Tristan
            Murail (and some others I'm forgetting) among other members.

            As for recommendations, I won't be of much help as I have no CD with works
            by him... I do know some titles ("Les espaces acoustiques" seems to be an
            important one), but never actually heard them. Several of the releases are
            on Accord, a label that is hard to get by on the American continent.

            g.

            --
            Guillaume Grenier - gollum@...

            in space there is no north in space there is no south
            in space there is no east in space there is no west
          • scott v
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2001
              >Anyway, back to the music. Anyone have any suggestions of good starting
              >points for the music of Luc Ferrari and Gerard Grisey? I've heard music by
              >both in concerts, been impressed and want to hear more. Contributions
              >gratefully received.

              for Luc Ferrari I recommend:

              -Acousmatrix 3: Electronic Works [BVHaast] CD
              -Vol. 1: Chansons Pour le Corps/Et Si Toute Entiere
              Maintenant...(Icebreaker...Supposing Now I Were To...) [Mode] CD
              -Presque Rien [INA GRM] CD (I think this is out of print)
              -Interrupteur/Tautologos 3 [Blue Chopsticks] CD
              -Presque Rien No. 1 / Societie II [Duecshte Grammophone "avant garde"
              series] LP (hard to find & out of print)
              -Und so Weiter / Music Promenade [Wergo] LP (hard to find & out of print)
              -Hetereozygote [Phillips] LP (hard to find & out of print)

              --Scott

            • Steeples Paul (Mr PW)
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
                Thanks for the recommendations so far. Just for the record, the Grisey piece
                I've heard is "Partiels", which was played at a late-night Prom last year
                and appeared to be one of his spectral compositions, in that it dealt with
                slowly shifting tissues of sound. The two Ferrari pieces were "Presque Rien
                No.4 - La Remontee du Village" (a tape piece of ambient sounds) and "Les
                Emois d'Aphrodite" (a piece for ensemble with a supposedly erotic text,
                which I couldn't really hear) at the wonderful Other Minds festival in San
                Francisco back in 1999. I'll certainly follow up all your suggestions (or
                all the ones I can actually get hold of).

                On 29/09/01 21:47, Ryan Whitehead said in living color:

                > Nobody's jumped on the Gerard Grisey side of the equation? What's he all
                > about? Any takers?

                Well, as far as basic info goes, he's one of the founder of the spectral
                movement. Was part of the "L'Itinéraire" group which include[d?] Tristan
                Murail (and some others I'm forgetting) among other members.

                As for recommendations, I won't be of much help as I have no CD with works
                by him... I do know some titles ("Les espaces acoustiques" seems to be an
                important one), but never actually heard them. Several of the releases are
                on Accord, a label that is hard to get by on the American continent.

                g.

                --
                Guillaume Grenier - gollum@...

                in space there is no north in space there is no south
                in space there is no east in space there is no west

                TheWire List Info Page: [getting there]

                This email has been scanned for viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan service.

                For further details, please see
                http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/gncnotices/gncinformationnotice5_2001.pdf.

                In case of problems, please call your organisations IT helpdesk.

              • Kristopher S. Handley
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2001
                  >-Vol. 1: Chansons Pour le Corps/Et Si Toute Entiere
                  >Maintenant...(Icebreaker...Supposing Now I Were To...) [Mode] CD

                  Could someone describe/vouch for this recording? Sounds interesting, but
                  the budget is tight, so I thought I'd solicit comment. Something made me
                  think that this was different from much of the (earlier) Ferrari canon.

                  >-Presque Rien [INA GRM] CD (I think this is out of print)

                  IIC, this is freshly back in print (as of about 2 months ago or so), along
                  with the mindblowing LA CR�ATION DU MONDE and DE NATURA SONORUM recordings
                  by Bernard Parmegiani (highly, highly recommended concret....behold
                  Parmegiani creating AUtechre in a single short section of SONORUM). I got
                  my copy from my local shop for about $15, which I think is quite a bit
                  cheaper than through the "official" distributor (?) Diffusion Imedia, who
                  were charging about $25 for it.

                  Also, no one mentioned the short piece from the Seventies, "Unheimlich
                  Sch�n", which was released by Metamkine as a 3"CD. Like/unlike DANSE
                  ORGANIQUE, it seems to amplify some kind of interior life of a young woman,
                  though to me it seems just erotic as the "pornographic" DANSE. (I wonder if
                  this is problematic, i.e. a man putting isolated female
                  pleasure/vulnerability on display, i.e. yawn more of the same, aural
                  equivalent of inequitable full frontal [female] nudity in popular film, or
                  of the apparent dominance of the sound of female pleasure in the sound esign
                  of porn. "Unheimlich" is beautiful and worth checking out, but I'd be
                  curious to know if anyone else might have had a hesitancy about this.)

                  BTW, what is Ferrari's reputation built on? There seems to be a pretty
                  small amoutn of material in print right now, and I could see someone
                  presenting his work as Duchampian "readymade" (the PRESQUE RIEN stuff, at
                  least), but where does he "fit in" to the state of late 20thC music? Why is
                  he important?

                  ------s

                • Manuel V. Cabrera Jr.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2001
                    "Unheimlich Schon" amazes me because it is like a minimalist sound narrative
                    whose multiple ambiguity contains riches for me. every time i hear it, i can
                    imagine yet another narrative built around the simple oscillation between a
                    woman;s voice whispering 'unheimlich schon' and a man's breathing (along with
                    small coughs, clearings of the throat, etc.'.
                    By the way, this was released in a series from Metamkine entitled "Cinema
                    pour L'Oreille": Jim O'rourke's contribution to this series, another 3-incher
                    entitled "Rules of Reduction", is one of his best in my opinion. Has anyone
                    heard any other pieces from this series? I'm especially interested in getting
                    my hands on Michel Chion's piece "Credo Mambo". all i've heard from him so far
                    is "La Ronde", and my interest mostly stems from my admiration for his critical
                    works (a book on David Lynch and a couple on sound and narrative in film)...

                    mandel cabrera

                    "Kristopher S. Handley" wrote:

                    > >-Vol. 1: Chansons Pour le Corps/Et Si Toute Entiere
                    > >Maintenant...(Icebreaker...Supposing Now I Were To...) [Mode] CD
                    >
                    > Could someone describe/vouch for this recording? Sounds interesting, but
                    > the budget is tight, so I thought I'd solicit comment. Something made me
                    > think that this was different from much of the (earlier) Ferrari canon.
                    >
                    > >-Presque Rien [INA GRM] CD (I think this is out of print)
                    >
                    > IIC, this is freshly back in print (as of about 2 months ago or so), along
                    > with the mindblowing LA CRéATION DU MONDE and DE NATURA SONORUM recordings
                    > by Bernard Parmegiani (highly, highly recommended concret....behold
                    > Parmegiani creating AUtechre in a single short section of SONORUM). I got
                    > my copy from my local shop for about $15, which I think is quite a bit
                    > cheaper than through the "official" distributor (?) Diffusion Imedia, who
                    > were charging about $25 for it.
                    >
                    > Also, no one mentioned the short piece from the Seventies, "Unheimlich
                    > Schön", which was released by Metamkine as a 3"CD. Like/unlike DANSE
                    > ORGANIQUE, it seems to amplify some kind of interior life of a young woman,
                    > though to me it seems just erotic as the "pornographic" DANSE. (I wonder if
                    > this is problematic, i.e. a man putting isolated female
                    > pleasure/vulnerability on display, i.e. yawn more of the same, aural
                    > equivalent of inequitable full frontal [female] nudity in popular film, or
                    > of the apparent dominance of the sound of female pleasure in the sound esign
                    > of porn. "Unheimlich" is beautiful and worth checking out, but I'd be
                    > curious to know if anyone else might have had a hesitancy about this.)
                    >
                    > BTW, what is Ferrari's reputation built on? There seems to be a pretty
                    > small amoutn of material in print right now, and I could see someone
                    > presenting his work as Duchampian "readymade" (the PRESQUE RIEN stuff, at
                    > least), but where does he "fit in" to the state of late 20thC music? Why is
                    > he important?
                    >
                    > ------s

                  • Kristopher S. Handley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 3, 2001
                      >From: "Manuel V. Cabrera Jr." <mandelc@...>
                      > "Unheimlich Schon" amazes me because it is like a minimalist sound
                      >narrative
                      >whose multiple ambiguity contains riches for me. every time i hear it, i
                      >can
                      >imagine yet another narrative built around the simple....[snip]

                      Very well-put. I listened to PRESQUE RIEN and "Unheimlich" again last
                      night, on a very long slow coast into sleep, which might be an ideal state
                      for taking these works in. My previous comments might be inevitable for
                      this kind of work, i.e. betraying more about me than about the work at hand,
                      esp. since it acts like a blank screen for projections of the self. An open
                      text!

                      BTW, not that it matters terribly, but I made a typo previously:

                      > > Like/unlike DANSE
                      > > ORGANIQUE, [UNHEIMLICH SHOEN] seems to amplify some kind of interior
                      >life of a young woman,
                      > > though to me it seems just erotic as the "pornographic" DANSE.

                      Of course, I meant "it seems just AS erotic as...". I'm not even sure
                      there's any "just" when it comes to the erotic!

                      Best,

                      ------s

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 16, 2002
                      • Kristopher S. Handley
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16, 2002
                          Sorry, list, but I don't anything at all about the e.mail reproducedbelwo