Re: [thewire] Re: Janek Schaefer

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2000
      > Have you heard 'Stone' by Lilith? Rock is the only sound source, and,
      unlike
      > most single-sound-source peices (which is not a negative point, mind you,
      just
      > an observation), is fairly recognisable as such. I highly recommend it.
      >
      > Sorry, I know your looking for samples, but I thought I'd throw that in...
      >
      > patrick

      Yeah, thanks, I will look for it. How about a thread on rocks, anyway?
      Anyone know any
      other songs / albums based around rocks?

      davis
    • ZURAW,BRYAN LAWRENCE
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 19, 2000
        There was some guy on ECM who did a few records of music for rocks...
        stephan micus- music of stones, allmusic tells me. never heard em, myself.

        I also have a vague memory that akio suzuki has done workd that involve
        playing with rocks.

        I also remember thinking that some of the recordings on sentrax from
        the mid-90's sounded to me like evocations of tectonic plates slowly
        shifting and grinding against one another . don't recall the specific
        recordings, but i think maybe paul schutze or mick harris were involved, a
        similar feeling may also be found on some thomas koner.

        maybe john everall could help, if he's still on
        this list.

        bryan zuraw

        On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Davis Ford wrote:

        > > Have you heard 'Stone' by Lilith? Rock is the only sound source, and,
        > unlike
        > > most single-sound-source peices (which is not a negative point, mind you,
        > just
        > > an observation), is fairly recognisable as such. I highly recommend it.
        > >
        > > Sorry, I know your looking for samples, but I thought I'd throw that in...
        > >
        > > patrick
        >
        > Yeah, thanks, I will look for it. How about a thread on rocks, anyway?
        > Anyone know any
        > other songs / albums based around rocks?
        >
        > davis

      • Alex Stone
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2000
          >There was some guy on ECM who did a few records of music for rocks...
          >stephan micus- music of stones, allmusic tells me. never heard em, myself.

          I've heard that one - he actually plays sculpted blocks of granite which
          are cut with grooves and designed to resonate. It's recorded in a
          cathedral, and is pretty atmospheric, although you wouldn't know rocks were
          being played if you hadn't been told.

          Anyway, how about AMM's The Nameless Uncarved Block?

          And (because I'm on holiday and feeling frivolous) how about the Sadistic
          Mica Band? The Rolling Stones? The Gneiss? And of course, the legendary
          Pebbles compilations.

          Alex Stone
        • dieter scheyhing
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2000
            >>Does anyone have the new Janek Schaefer that was reviewed in new Wire?
            >>It sounds really good.
            >
            >I'd be interested as to the quality of this release as well. It's been
            >sitting in Windows (a record shop, not transparent glass bits) in Newcastle
            >for several weeks now saying 'buy me, John, buy me!'
            i think you wouldn't regret it - though i have to add that i'm a bit
            prejudiced, since i was involved in organizing one of the performances
            which the cd is based on...

            >I also have a vague memory that akio suzuki has done workd that involve
            >playing with rocks.
            he's performing with stones sometimes, also doing installations (he's got
            a large collection of stones), and he plays a unique stone flute.

            others:
            elmar daucher, a german sculptor, who is making "sounding stones" since
            the 70s.

            and:
            "stones" by christian wolff, a piece from around 1970, the score of which
            consists of just a few lines of text. there is a recording available by
            wandelweiser komponisten ensemble, edition wandelweiser records, ewr 9604.

            - dieter
          • Danny Gromfin
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2000
              I have a CD by Christian Wolff entitled "Stones", a piece written in
              1968 performed by the Wandelweiser Komponisten Ensemble. The
              composition is based on using stones for sources of sounds...

              From the CD booklet:

              Michael Pisaro, for example, interpreted the expression "draw sounds of
              of stones" by drawing on stones, producing very gentle sounds.

              Burkhard Schlothauer sometimes drew a large stone across the floor:
              "drawing sounds out of stones"

              Jurg Frey, in thinking about the meaning of "discrete sounds", decided
              that a single sound might well last a long time. Thus, 27 minutes of
              quietly rubbing two very uneven limestones is considered as one event.

              Thomas Stiegler used a violin and violin bow as the surface upon which
              all of his events took place.

              Kunsu Shim began performing his nearly inaudible, subtle sounds only
              after about 55 minutes bas elapsed.

              Nevertheless, most of the sounds were made by very simply striking
              stones with stones, just as the score requires. While playing this CD
              you may forget, after a while, that it is playing. All of a sudden you
              might hear a little stone, sometime, somewhere. After an initial "What
              was that?", you'll suddenly realize: "Oh yes, it's the CD!"

              FYI, the CD is on Edition Wandelweiser (EWR 9604) 1996 (Germany). I
              picked up this copy at Other Music in NYC.

              Danny
            • R. Lim
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2000
                On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, Davis Ford wrote:

                > Yeah, thanks, I will look for it. How about a thread on rocks, anyway?
                > Anyone know any
                > other songs / albums based around rocks?

                There's a Walter Marchetti LP which features a piece consisting of hurling
                large rocks off a cliff into a pond below. Sound-wise, it resembles the
                passage of stool (a similiarity also noted by Revolver).

                There's also a memorable song called "My Girlfriend Is a Rock" by the 70s
                Texas punk band, the Nervebreakers. A sample verse goes like:

                "My girlfriend is a rock
                she looks like a piece of chalk
                or maybe alibaster
                I guess you'd have to ask her!"

                Toshiya Tsunoda (of the unbelievably wonderful WrK collective from
                Japan) has also done some mesmerizing work that involves concrete and
                air spaces inside heavy structures.

                -rob