(the wire)100 best tape swap challenge

  • kmria@xxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 1998
      Hello,
      I'm new to this list so forgive me if I'm repeating yourselves.

      After going through the top 100, I'm distressed to find that I only own 2
      of the lot. (But I almost bought a few of them over the years,.... and I
      own loads of other records by the people listed,.... and I have loads of
      even more obscure records,.... and how could they leave out the Art
      Ensemble)

      But anyway, the 2 I have are the Mark Stewart and the Public Enemy. And I'd
      love to swap a tape of my 2 for a tape of any 2 of the other 98. Please
      email me privately. And if a few other people were to make similar
      posts.....

      Incidently, if it hasn't been covered already, how is everyone else doing?
      Be honest.

      all the best

      Patrick

      MacArdles
      1811 Cedar St
      Berkeley, CA 94703
      (510) 540 1943
    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 1998
        At 11:43 PM -0700 9/4/98, MacArdle wrote:
        >Incidently, if it hasn't been covered already, how is everyone else doing?
        >Be honest.

        32-33% still in the collection (can't remember/be bothered to check if I
        still have a beat-up vinyl of Fripp's _Exposure_). And I'm not too sure
        I'd wanna go much higher, given the non-centrality in my collection of much
        of that 32.5%. The Top 100 seems like more than a bit of a hotchpotch; I
        *am* really curious about that Buffy Sainte-Marie record (what? No
        Melanie??)

        Johnny Guitar Watson?? And no _Osmium_ or _Maggot Brain_??? I mean, I
        have & enjoy the album, but come, the fuck, ON.

        Jason Witherspoon

        ---------
        --- ---
        --- ---
        ---------
        ---------
        --- ---
        com/~arz
        http://www.best.com/~arzachel
        www.best.com/~arzachel
        best.com/~a
      • Brian & Sharon Beuchaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 1998
          > At 11:43 PM -0700 9/4/98, MacArdle wrote:
          > >Incidently, if it hasn't been covered already, how is everyone else doing?
          > >Be honest.

          I've got 20 out of the 100, so I guess that's not too bad....

          Then Jason Witherspoon <arzachel@...> said:

          > Johnny Guitar Watson?? And no _Osmium_ or _Maggot Brain_??? I mean, I
          > have & enjoy the album, but come, the fuck, ON.

          But the subtitle is "While No One Was Listening" and Mr. Herrington says
          in his editorial "...for one reason or another slipped through the net of
          widespread public perception..." _Maggot Brain_ certainly didn't slip
          through that net, maybe _Osmium_ did, but still ....

          cya
          brian
          "You believe the world is perfectible and so you find it always
          unsatisfying. You have to reconcile yourself to the world's
          unperfectibility by being thoroughly *in* the world, but not
          *of* it" - Tony Kushner
        • Jason Witherspoon
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 1998
            At 10:26 AM -0700 9/5/98, Brian & Sharon Beuchaw wrote:

            >But the subtitle is "While No One Was Listening" and Mr. Herrington says
            >in his editorial "...for one reason or another slipped through the net of
            >widespread public perception..." _Maggot Brain_ certainly didn't slip
            >through that net, maybe _Osmium_ did, but still ....

            Oh, right. That's part of the problem of viewing the list w/o the issue at
            hand, & The Wire can hardly be accused of giving short shrift to Funkadelic
            (see a couple of issues ago), so I was truly puzzled.

            Still, I'd've gone w/Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul or Baby Huey before
            that particular Watson record. Very, very nice to see Larry Young's
            excellent record on there!

            Jason Witherspoon

            ---------
            --- ---
            --- ---
            ---------
            ---------
            --- ---
            com/~arz
            http://www.best.com/~arzachel
            www.best.com/~arzachel
            best.com/~a
          • Chris Warburton
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 1998
              At 23:43 04/09/98 -0700, you wrote:
              >From: kmria@... (MacArdle)
              >
              >and how could they leave out the Art Ensemble

              I think that they are another outfit eliminated by the "while no-one was
              listening" clause. For my two penn'orth, some of those actually chosen are
              too well known in this context to qualify (Faust Tapes e.g.)

              >But anyway, the 2 I have are the Mark Stewart and the Public Enemy. And I'd
              >love to swap a tape of my 2 for a tape of any 2 of the other 98. Please
              >email me privately. And if a few other people were to make similar
              >posts.....

              I'd oblige, but I have little interest in Mark Stewart, and absolutely none
              in Public Enemy!

              >Incidently, if it hasn't been covered already, how is everyone else doing?
              >Be honest.

              I own nine, have a tape of one, and have varying degrees of familiarity
              with about another nine. There are a few that I'm aware of, if only
              through the pages of The Wire (e.g. Royal Trux), and one or two complete
              mysteries.

              ChrisW

              Free your mind & watch your ass!