Re: Scanner (recommended)

  • Eric Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      >Can anyone recommend me some Scanner?
      >Thanks,
      >Matt.

      Hello scannees,

      ahem. Well, Matt, assuming you're the only other person on this list not trying to slam
      the poor bastard, Robin Rimbaud's output has overall been quite good I think,

      In making a recommendation, I'm tending to lean on his later stuff sounding a bit more
      mature (ie, composition leaning upon slightly more traditional orchestration, leaning
      towards a comparison to moody Aphex only a bit more ambient, and less heavily upon scanned
      telephony as a pure source audio) in contrast to his early "funny" works (scanned telephony
      abounds!!! great stuff in there), which are by all means must-haves as well.

      So if I may be permitted to make a few recommendations for the scanner neophyte:

      1. Delivery (1996/Rawkus-Primitive) - poignant stuff, very nice range
      2. Spore (1995/New Electronica) - overall quite satisfying mixture of composition vs. audio design
      3. Scanner 1 (1994/Ash International 1.1) - pure sonic piracy...
      4. The Garden is Full of Metal - Robin Rimbaud (1997/SubRosa) Robin's audio diary/hommage
      to filmmaker Derek Jarman.

      All of these are a very fine start if you're interested.

      Also Robin's personal newsletter, Strom, which I've been getting for, like, 4 years now and
      which stays abreast of his installation works, literary and musical likes and dislikes, and head trauma - you can subscribe to at: robinr@...

      Hope this inspires...

      Eric

      DAY for NIGHT
      voice: 310.393.3840 fax/modem: 310.393.2374
      ericscott@... http://www.dayfornight.com
    • Marti Gallowitz
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
        Just want to get a plug in for Scanner. I love the stuff.
        The Garden Is Full Of Metal--one of my all time faves.

        Eric: Nice list of recommended titles. Thanks for the info on the
        newsletter.

        Cheers,
        Marti