Re: Environmental Music

  • Øivind Idsø
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
      >On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:
      >
      >I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental >sounds such
      as traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder >if anyone on list has any
      recommendations.

      You should definitely get Justin Bennett's "Cityscape" (Staalplaat). It's
      freaking brilliant! I had high expectations for this one, and I think every
      requirement has been met. There are some incredible soundscapes on this CD,
      and in addition the CD-cover is perhaps the most original cover ever
      (although it sort of makes the idea of a CD-rack a thing of the past).

      Thunderstorms, church bells, beautiful & rhythmic rain-drops,
      echo-chamberings from where?-I-don't-know. It's so good, and it's so well
      crafted/constructed/structured. Highly recommended, in other words.

      /Oeivind/

      /Oeivind Idsoe/
      "Cannibalism is a radical form of hospitality." -Jean Baudrillard
    • Mark Coyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
        Hi

        >You should definitely get Justin Bennett's "Cityscape" (Staalplaat). It's
        >freaking brilliant! I had high expectations for this one, and I think every
        >requirement has been met. There are some incredible soundscapes on this CD,
        >and in addition the CD-cover is perhaps the most original cover ever
        >(although it sort of makes the idea of a CD-rack a thing of the past).

        Great I've just ordered it!!!

        >Thunderstorms, church bells, beautiful & rhythmic rain-drops,
        >echo-chamberings from where?-I-don't-know. It's so good, and it's so well
        >crafted/constructed/structured. Highly recommended, in other words.

        Cooo sounds great.

        Cheers
        mark

      • JoelKru@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998

          <On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:

          >I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental >sounds such
          as traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder >if anyone on list has any
          recommendations.>

          Paul Lansky's "Night Traffic" is an interesting piece found on his 1992 "Home
          Brew" CD on the Bridge label. (This should be fairly easy to get hold of,
          check out their website.)

          I am also quite fond of an old Folkways recording (FX 6161) , on vinyl, called
          "here at the water's edge 1: a voyage in sound" which is a "sound score"
          composed by Leo Hurwitz in collaboration with Charles Pratt for a motion
          picture called "Here At The Water's Edge" While I'm not familiar with the
          film, the 1963 album features 3 "constructions in sound" made up of sounds
          recorded in and around the Port of New York. (My guess is that this one
          should be next to impossible to find. Happy hunting!)

          Joel Krutt / WHUS
          Pushing The Envelope
          University of Connecticut
          Box U-8R
          Storrs, CT 06269
          If you go to the <A HREF="http://whusfm.saup.uconn.edu/">WHUS web-site</A>
          (http://whusfm.saup.uconn.edu/) you can get all the information you need to
          check out "Pushing The Envelope" and all the other fine programming on WHUS.