Environmental Music

  • Mark Coyle
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 29, 1998
      Hi all,

      I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental sounds such as
      traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder if anyone on list has any
      recommendations. The one stipulation I would ask is no "new age" albums of
      tinkling electric piano with whales in the back ground and so on. There
      again, the taste of people in the group is such that I'd be surprised if
      that happened.

      Thanks to everyone for the turntable lists by the way, I've sourced many of
      the artists and albums mentioned and am really enjoying the music I'm
      hearing.

      Many thanks
      Mark Coyle
    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 31, 1998
        On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:

        > I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental sounds such as
        > traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder if anyone on list has any
        > recommendations. The one stipulation I would ask is no "new age" albums of
        > tinkling electric piano with whales in the back ground and so on. There
        > again, the taste of people in the group is such that I'd be surprised if

        There's an installation artist named Bill Fontana who pipes real-time
        recordings of "natural settings" into gallery spaces. He has at least a
        couple discs recorded of "excerpts" from this process, which is quite akin
        to have a babbling brook w/mixed fauna in your headphones/living space.
        I'm not sure what you mean by "new age," so I can't say if it fits the
        bill, but he has a CD on Wergo (if that makes a different).

        In the realm of the more supernatural, there's a 2CD set of Steven
        McGreevy's recording of inaudible radio waves caused by the interaction of
        lightning and the aurora borealis with the earth's magnetic field. He
        uses special receiving equipment to get the sounds, so I don't know if
        that's cheating or not. Also astounding is the aneponymous side of Gordon
        Monahan's _Speaker Swinging_ LP, recordings of a giant piano/monochord
        construction called the "aeolian piano." Mysterious waves of sound/drone
        on an almost symphonic scale- highly recommended for fans of the
        long-string aesthetic, from Lucier to Ellen Fullman to Alan Lamb. The
        other side is fairly unremarkable (an examination of the doppler effect in
        which stereo does not really do the event justice); better to view the
        stunning video excerpt of the speakers in action available on the V2
        web-site (http://www.v2.nl).

        Sorry if all this is rehash- in a startling breach of netiquette, I have
        prematurely ended my lurking tenure.

        -rob
      • Philip Sherburne
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 31, 1998

          >On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:
          >
          >> I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental sounds
          such as
          >> traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder if anyone on list has
          any
          >> recommendations.

          A handful of records come to mind:

          General Magic & Pita's "Fridge" works ("Fridge Tracks," I think, and the
          subsequent "Live and Final Fridge," both on Mego)--constructed entirely
          from the sounds picked up from a humming refrigerator, via contact mic.

          Robert Rutman's "Music to Sleep By" (Tresor)--three of the tracks are
          just Rutman's long-drone compositions on his own self-constructed
          instruments, such as steel cello, sometimes in combination w/ vinyl
          recordings of chanting Tibetan monks. But the last track is recorded
          outside in a parking lot, and the noise of traffic becomes another
          element to the music. See my review in Urbansounds at
          http://www.urbansounds.com/home/styles/ambient/us_ambient_rutman.html

          Finally, one of Thomas Brinkmann's (cf. his work w/ Mike Ink, Richie
          Hawtin, etc.) new Ernst label 12"s, "Elke/Doris" (I think), somewhat
          uncharacteristically buries a layer of chirping birds and environmental
          noise (traffic?) deep within four tracks of gritty, minimal dub-techno a
          la Chain Reaction.

          Hope this helps,
          Philip Sherburne
        • Lucky Kitchen
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 1998
            we couldn't help but mention that our first release, suetsu & underwood
            find the hits (and then use them) consists of one cd of found sounds
            recorded from all over the world, and a second cd of those sounds remixed
            into songs it came in handsewn pajama and sandpaper packaging
            unfortunately/fortunately we sold out of all 41 copies (we have been
            pressing single disk copies for those interested) tracks from our first
            release will appear on our website soon, and there is talk of a 10" on
            DISKONO consisting of one side of remixes by other artists and one side of
            new stuff lucky kitchen releases no new age music so rest comfortably
            currently our 2nd release by jake mandell is reviewed in the sept issue
            coming soon, a different sort of environmental album: blip, bleep
            (soundtracks to imaginary videogames) a comp of all sorts of people
            anwyays, we apologize for interupting

            our favorite record right now is by Phthalocyanine try and checkit if you
            can, contact: Phthalocyanine <phthalo@...> http://www.phthalo.com
            i'll try and use some brain power and write up a brief review later

            daniel
            http://www.luckykitchen.com
          • Øivind Idsø
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
              >On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:
              >
              >I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental >sounds such
              as traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder >if anyone on list has any
              recommendations.

              You should definitely get Justin Bennett's "Cityscape" (Staalplaat). It's
              freaking brilliant! I had high expectations for this one, and I think every
              requirement has been met. There are some incredible soundscapes on this CD,
              and in addition the CD-cover is perhaps the most original cover ever
              (although it sort of makes the idea of a CD-rack a thing of the past).

              Thunderstorms, church bells, beautiful & rhythmic rain-drops,
              echo-chamberings from where?-I-don't-know. It's so good, and it's so well
              crafted/constructed/structured. Highly recommended, in other words.

              /Oeivind/

              /Oeivind Idsoe/
              "Cannibalism is a radical form of hospitality." -Jean Baudrillard
            • Mark Coyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998
                Hi

                >You should definitely get Justin Bennett's "Cityscape" (Staalplaat). It's
                >freaking brilliant! I had high expectations for this one, and I think every
                >requirement has been met. There are some incredible soundscapes on this CD,
                >and in addition the CD-cover is perhaps the most original cover ever
                >(although it sort of makes the idea of a CD-rack a thing of the past).

                Great I've just ordered it!!!

                >Thunderstorms, church bells, beautiful & rhythmic rain-drops,
                >echo-chamberings from where?-I-don't-know. It's so good, and it's so well
                >crafted/constructed/structured. Highly recommended, in other words.

                Cooo sounds great.

                Cheers
                mark

              • JoelKru@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 1, 1998

                  <On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mark Coyle wrote:

                  >I'm exploring music which uses or is made from environmental >sounds such
                  as traffic, weather, storms and so on. I wonder >if anyone on list has any
                  recommendations.>

                  Paul Lansky's "Night Traffic" is an interesting piece found on his 1992 "Home
                  Brew" CD on the Bridge label. (This should be fairly easy to get hold of,
                  check out their website.)

                  I am also quite fond of an old Folkways recording (FX 6161) , on vinyl, called
                  "here at the water's edge 1: a voyage in sound" which is a "sound score"
                  composed by Leo Hurwitz in collaboration with Charles Pratt for a motion
                  picture called "Here At The Water's Edge" While I'm not familiar with the
                  film, the 1963 album features 3 "constructions in sound" made up of sounds
                  recorded in and around the Port of New York. (My guess is that this one
                  should be next to impossible to find. Happy hunting!)

                  Joel Krutt / WHUS
                  Pushing The Envelope
                  University of Connecticut
                  Box U-8R
                  Storrs, CT 06269
                  If you go to the <A HREF="http://whusfm.saup.uconn.edu/">WHUS web-site</A>
                  (http://whusfm.saup.uconn.edu/) you can get all the information you need to
                  check out "Pushing The Envelope" and all the other fine programming on WHUS.