Re: [thewire] Beetles / How the Beets Were Won

  • suhrid manchanda
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      >**sure, I wonder what the process is that creates the 'readiness' in >a
      >mass
      >audience (of which I too am unashamedly part) to accept what was >once
      >avant
      >gard as 'pop'... maybe I need to study marketing?

      *** close-to-fact : marketing and the "empowerment" of the consumer has
      played the largest role in shaping civilization since the 1960s. besides
      from the obvious : as some conspiracy theorists like to believe : the
      concept of micro-marketing (direct marketing thru mail etc.) created the
      postal code system (and not the postal system as some would have us
      believe...?).
      but back to music... what about when rock n roll first came about? from what
      i understand, way back when, it wasn't exactly the most culturally
      acceptable kind of music. and now we are "blessed" with the wonder of
      long-lasting travelling rock n roll entertainment packages like the Rolling
      Stones, Aerosmith, etc. reunions shmee-unions, i say.

      peace
      suhrid,.