Beetles

  • chux
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2000
      >shucks chux, thanks for livening things up a bit...

      **gee...

      >who the fuck are they?

      **funny, that's what I said. But, and this is only hearsay, they were quite
      an influential band in the 60s.

      >If this is right, then in a sense this is the trick that 'pop music' >plays
      >on us.

      >i'm not sure if that's how i would refer to it [as a trick]...

      **I suppose that I don't mind being tricked, although I like to know when
      it's happening! I find myself liking some admittedly banal pop songs
      without quite knowing why.

      >i listen to a lot of pop
      >music and dig it immensely. actually i'm quite sure that the entire new/old
      >aesthetic configuring process goes on when you hear any kind of music, as
      >well the stuff that gets written about in the wire. and god damn it a lot of
      >the stuff that gets written about in the wire is or was pop at some time or
      >some place (e.g. Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Fela Kuti) and for all we know,
      >might become pop sometime?

      **sure, I wonder what the process is that creates the 'readiness' in a mass
      audience (of which I too am unashamedly part) to accept what was once avant
      gard as 'pop'... maybe I need to study marketing?

      >imagine that? how would you react if you saw a 12
      >year old with a Merzbow baseball cap?

      *** yeah freak out! I would ask him, "how do *you* sty that?", and then
      maybe we would start talking about Weimar installation art... or some such
      thingy.

      peace, have a rockin' weekend all!

      ***indeed!

      chux