hooks

  • chux
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2000
      Hi,

      The other night one of my friends was playing a record by a band called The
      Beatles (I can't remember which lP it was) and was telling me about 'the
      hooks' in the songs.
      Now, I got the idea that 'a hook' is something that makes a song catchy,
      and my friend, when pushed, proffered the suggestion that what made a
      'hook' 'hooky' was that it was something new that made the listener 'sit
      up' and pay attention.
      I wasn't quite convinced, it seemed to me that 'hooks' had be somewhat more
      complex; that a hook had to be at once 'new' and 'old'.
      'New', in the sense that it has to draw attention to the song, and because
      we humans become rapidly habituated, some novelty is required to make our
      little brains switch on...
      'Old', in the sense that when we immediately like something, it is
      generally because we have encountered it before... even though we may not
      recognise that fact...

      If this is right, then in a sense this is the trick that 'pop music' plays
      on us. Could it be that the apparent 'difficulty' of much of the music
      written about in the Wire is due to it's insistence to be taken on its own
      terms
      ??

      chx