Napster

  • kevorko1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2000
      Hey all,

      anybody on this list uses Napster? Just curious...(yes, i know about their
      potential security problems but..)

      Cheers
      Joe
    • Dan Solmon
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2000
        Yes, I use Macster. It's a nice system, although obscure music is rare, and
        if you find a user who has something you want but you can't get it, chances
        are you will never find him/her again. However, it's definitel y agood way
        to get music you might like but wouldn't pay for, or to find songs by a band
        you'd like to hear. In addition to the issues of security, I heard that the
        creator is being sued-but that's an unsubstantiated rumour.

        I say try it out, and if it's not your thing, just get rid of it.

        keep on truckin'

        Dan

        Napster name=dankbrowne

        >From: kevorko1@...
        >To: thewire@onelist.com
        >Subject: [thewire] Napster
        >Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:00:27 EST
        >
        >Hey all,
        >
        >anybody on this list uses Napster? Just curious...(yes, i know about their
        >potential security problems but..)
        >
        >Cheers
        >Joe

      • sunfish
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
          As a matter of interest I average about 3-4kbps downloading from MP3. com
          using a multi thread resuming download aide (no plugs). Not very fast on a
          56k modem- how does a Napster link behave?
          Chi
        • wlt4@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
            >Not very fast on a 56k modem- how does a Napster link behave?

            It varies depending on the connection of the computer you're downloading from.
          • Andrew Cox
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2000
              Thursday, November 02, 2000, 8:50:23 PM sunfish wrote:
              > As a matter of interest I average about 3-4kbps downloading from MP3. com
              > using a multi thread resuming download aide (no plugs). Not very fast on a
              > 56k modem- how does a Napster link behave?
              > Chi

              It's /very/ variable. NB: If you're only getting 4kbps I suggest you
              upgrade your modem drivers (try http://www.56k.com), and tweak your
              DUN settings. X-SETUP is pretty good for the latter (amongst many
              other things), from http://www.xteq.com
            • sunfish
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
                It's kind of hard to figure out my poor little modem- I'll probably upgrade
                soon to external usb. Thanks for the X setup tip- where has it been hiding
                while I've been on the net? Again thank you very much!