Music Dictionaries

  • {[brian..alter]}
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4 6:33 PM
      I frequent (i think they're correct):

      www.allmusic.com
      www.trouserpress.com
      www.roughguides.com

      You should find these filled with a copious amount of info. Though, you
      can't dig too deep within them i've found. A great place to start
      nonetheless.

      Brian

      > Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:49:29 EST
      > From: Pinkgerl@...
      >Subject: music dictionaries
      >
      >abt the All Tomorrow's Parties-
      >It's on April 7-9 and includes mogwai, arab strap, high llamas, cat
      power,
      >stereolab, and a lot of Warp people. Its at camper sands and is
      something
      >like 80 pounds. It's a nice line up but a hefty price.
      >
      >Also- a friend of mine has been asking me if I know of any good online
      >music dictionaries? Does anyone know of one?
      >
      >Daphne
    • andrew fleming
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4 8:34 PM
        "{[brian..alter]}" wrote:

        > From: "{[brian..alter]}" <alterhead@...>
        >
        > I frequent (i think they're correct):
        >
        > www.allmusic.com
        > www.trouserpress.com
        > www.roughguides.com
        >
        > You should find these filled with a copious amount of info.

        I think the original poster was looking for something along the lines of
        musical terminology dictionaries- i.e. a dictionary where one could look
        up "appogiatura", "mordent", "symphony", not "boston", "foghat", "peter
        frampton" etc. well, if one were to look up those three at all....
        hehe.
        --
        - - - - - - -[a(jf213@...)ndrew]- - - - - - -
        we start with the recognition that the history/theory distinction
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5 1:16 AM
          > I think the original poster was looking for something along the
          lines of
          > musical terminology dictionaries- i.e. a dictionary where one
          could look
          > up "appogiatura", "mordent", "symphony", not "boston", "foghat",
          "peter
          > frampton" etc. well, if one were to look up those three at
          all....
          > hehe.

          There are loads of links on:

          http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/diction5.html#music
        • Tom Michael Binkow
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5 8:39 PM
            Two music dictionaries (and their focuses):

            Echoes Glossary (instruments especially; also people, technology, kinds of
            music)
            http://www.echoes.org/de.glossary.html

            Folk File (excellent music theory; folk music (it's general music theory,
            not folk theory))
            http://www.cgrg.ohio-state.edu/~spencer/FF/

            These sites will search hundreds of specialized dictionaries for you:

            http://www.onelook.com/
            http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/diction.html

            Tom Binkow tom@...