Re: Merzbow

  • Sean Keeble
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000

      > A pevious posting mentioned a group with an unusual name called
      > called "Merzbow".
      >
      > Can anyone tell me if they have any recordings available?

      nigel,
      you are taking the piss again !!!!!!!!!!!!
      bad boy!!!!!!!
    • Patrick Oliver
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
        --- Nigel Ayers <nigel.ayers@...> wrote:

        > I'm doing an auction of Thompson Twin 12 inches
        > (Including "We Are
        > Detective") at:

        Excuse my ignorance but is this anything to do with a
        1930's German installation?
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • DeeDee
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
          "Merzbow".

          > > Can anyone tell me if they have any recordings available?
          >
          > There's at least one or two I know of.

          I hear rumours of a greatest hits box set edition coming out soon which
          should be a perfect introduction to their sound, for starters.

          I have to say tough that most of their tunes I�ve heard lack the
          catchiness that similar groups like The Thompson Twins or Hayzee
          Fantayzze used to have....

          Cheers,
          DeeDee

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Hrvatski
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
            >From: "R. Lim" <rlim@...>
            >
            >Yeah, it has everything to do with it (though I think Akita doesn't really
            >like to talk about this connection).
            >
            >(Part of?) Merzbau has apparently been reconstructed in Berlin for a
            >centennial-type celebration. It wasn't so much an "installation" per se,
            >but rather a transformation of Schwitters' studio (which was destroyed by
            >bombing during WWII). Am curious as to how the recreation is.

            Make that was reconstructed.
            It was taken down a week before I got to Berlin,
            two weeks ago.

            The original site in Hannover is nothing but rubble now.

            Reaction to the reconstruction seemed very positive... -V�t

            ____________________
            Reckankreuzungsklankewerkzeuge
            PO BOX 382864. Cambridge, MA 02238
            http://www.tiac.net/users/sheket/index.html
          • hugh.obrien@bench.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 8, 2000
            • scott v
              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 8, 2000
                >how is this disc?
                >
                >i read about it somewhere, but i don't remember if it was
                >very good as and introduction to merzbow or very bad.
                >
                >which merzbow is best for beginners that are already into
                >noise?

                Well for me its hard to say, there was a great feature article in the August
                2000 issue of The Wire on Masami upon the release of Merzbox. I personally
                like Batzatoutai w/ Memorial Gadgets (the hard to find original RRR 2Lp),
                1930, and The Prosperity Of Vice The Misfortune of Virtue (under the name
                Masami Akita). i have Oersted, its not great but i don't think its bad
                either...falls somewhere around his early to mid 90's period of full on
                metallic ear crushing noise.

                --Scott
              • Simon Fay
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                  Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                  on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                  reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                  maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                  little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                  guidance?

                  thanks in advance

                  SF

                  http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                • Kristopher S. Handley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                    Having only heard a baker's dozen, I'm nothing but a beginner, but I am very
                    happy with the two volumes of MUSIC FOR BONDAGE PERFORMANCE, the first of
                    which seems like a rather gentle and ambient concret piece using sounds of
                    wood, leather, metals, etc, IIRC. (Can't remember the substance of the
                    second volume too well.) I enjoyed ECOBONDAGE, which was the first and only
                    release on Jim O'Rourke's long defunct Distemper label; it's a beehive of
                    rather more shrill scraping and percussion textures, among other things.
                    I've been listening to the 1930 record on Tzadik, which I like a lot, though
                    it tends to escalate from loud blast to louder blast, the point of interest
                    being textural rather than dynamic. Finally, I really like this double CD
                    on RRR called BATZTOUTAI WITH MEMORIAL GADGETS, which is earlier Merz,
                    replete with tape fuckery and the plundering of fanfares and avant-classical
                    pieces, including stuff like INA-GRM electroacoustic. That might be my
                    favorite. I'm not much on PULSE DEMON, which seemed like a wall of white
                    noise, though I'll confess I didn't try very hard after the first 30minutes.

                    Weighed against output of the type mentioned above, I'd be very interested
                    to know how the Alien8 records stack up, as well as the double CD on
                    Extreme, or any others for that matter. I myself tend to like the
                    (noticeably) shifting textures.

                    ------s

                    np: Big Star, BIG STAR/RADIO CITY

                  • R. Lim
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                      On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                      > second volume too well.) I enjoyed ECOBONDAGE, which was the first and only
                      > release on Jim O'Rourke's long defunct Distemper label; it's a beehive of

                      That wasn't Jim's label- I think it was run by his then-girlfriend (can't
                      remember her name off the top of my head, sorry). BTW, the LP originally
                      appeared on ZSF. Most of the records you cite are from his earlier, junky
                      tape-loops phase- Extreme did a 2CD reissue of Age of 369/Chance 2 which
                      is probably my favorite in this style (evincing towards his denser
                      wall-of-sound sound, soon to emerge in his essential breakout release,
                      Rainbow Electronics). I was in Milan 'round New Year's time but couldn't
                      arrange to see the Schwitters exhibition, fuuuck.

                      -rob
                    • stevolende
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                        --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                        > Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                        > on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                        > reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                        > maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                        > little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                        > guidance?

                        not too familiar with his stuff myself
                        only have a couple of compi appearances
                        but thats certainly the first time I heard the word nice used to
                        describe his music
                        -anybody here buy the BMW box set?
                        or did i get the wrong car
                        -would you have to get rid of the car once the cd wore out?
                        Stevo
                        Np Boston (-just been given it )
                      • ralph2319311
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                          If you like unlistenable noise, dive right in. I'm sure all the
                          people who shelled out for the work of art that is the Merzbox are
                          listening to the discs over and over again because they are so
                          entertaining.

                          --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                          > Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                          > on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                          > reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                          > maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                          > little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                          > guidance?
                          >
                          > thanks in advance
                          >
                          > SF

                          > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                        • sindre andersen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                            I think you should try out the recent "Live At Molde Jazz Festival ", a live
                            collaboration with Jazzkammer, released on Smalltown Supersound,
                            a really good electronica/free jazz crossover thing, with some great blasts
                            of digitalness
                            The reamix CD Scumtron (Blast First) is also great
                            my favourite single track might be his 10" on Fat Cat, which puts to shame
                            all "noise has no rhythm" crap

                            sindre

                            >From: Simon Fay <simonfay2001@...>
                            >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [thewire] Merzbow
                            >Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:48:45 +0000 (GMT)
                            >
                            >Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                            >on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                            >reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                            >maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                            >little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                            >guidance?
                            >
                            >thanks in advance
                            >
                            >SF

                          • Michael Gillham
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 26, 2002
                              Of the items I have, my favourites are probably:
                              "Noise Embryo" (Releasing Eskimo)
                              "Pulse Demon" (Release)
                              "Rod Drug 93" 7" (The Way Out Sound)

                              Also recommended are the following live albums:
                              "Noizhead" (Blast First)
                              "Great Amercan Nude" (Alchemy)

                              Some of you may be interested to see the Merzbow video
                              special at newempire.com. The second part includes a
                              great video for "Minus Zero". Search for "Merzbow"
                              (obviously) at : http://www.newempire.com/

                              http://uk.my.yahoo.com