Re: go.to/ addresses

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
      > From: "Ryan K. Johnson" <rkj7723@...>
      >
      > This is incorrect. There are many internet sites with addresses
      > go.to/whatever.. my roommates Rainbow Six web site is go.to/dop
      >
      > In fact, the web page he lists, go.to/machina works. I would question the
      > legality of what he is doing, however.

      huh..my mistake. learn something everyday. maybe i should have followed
      the link...or not.

      Kingdom of Tonga..hmm. ah well..carry on.

      davis
    • franco ingrassia
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
        >It
        > should be relatively plain to most common Internet users, that domain
        names
        > can't end in 'to'.

        go.to
        come.to
        welcome.to
        zap.to
        sufrf.to

        all of the above are used by a well known redirect free service, V3
        http://www.go.to/v3home.asp
        (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of Tonga, the african
        country)

        here�s some info:

        About this service:
        Usually when you run a site your URL will look like
        http://www.mycompany.com If you are a home-user or own a small company
        this may be too expensive so your current URL most likely looks like:
        http://www.provider.com/~company. Needless to say, such a URL is difficult
        to remember and doesn't look nice.
        We can offer you a Redirect URL that will be easy to remember and does look
        cool! You keep your current service provider and current URL, which will be
        the Target-URL.
        If you run a site like: http://www.provider.com/~boris we could give you:
        http://come.to/boris. Of course you can think of anything to put behind
        "/", even multiple words. You can choose any word you like or which best
        describes your site.
        We ensure that when someone enters come.to/boris in his or her browser he
        or she will automatically be redirected to your site. Of course everybody
        can keep using your current URL, but once they experience the ease of your
        new Redirect URL, nobody will!!
        You will also get a corresponding e-mail Address. The redirect URL,
        together with the e-mail address we give you, provides you with a
        consistent and cool Internet Identity:

        Web : http://go.to/remy
        eMail : remy@...

        We try to add as many useful features to our service as possible.
        What are the advantages?
        � Life-long Internet Identity
        You can keep your Redirect URL for the rest of your life, even if you
        change from one service-provider to another or if your Target URL changes.
        The same goes for the e-mail address.
        � Easy to change
        Your personal password offers you the possibility to change your Redirect
        URL or current URL whenever you want.
        � Easy to remember
        The most important thing on the web is that people know how to find you,
        especially when you are promoting your site in advertisements. With your
        Redirect URL you can make sure your website will be found.
        � No charges
        We do not charge money for this service: In exchange we do a little
        advertising, you have 3 options.
        � Immediate activation
        If you register now, your Redirect URL will be active within a few minutes.
        Who can register a Redirect URL?
        If you have a site and you do not like your current URL you should register
        now! Our Redirect URL's are allocated on a first-come first-served basis so
        if someone else registers the Redirect URL of your choice it is impossible
        to get it back until they decide to delete it.
        What name should I register?
        If you promote your Redirect URL in advertisements, brochures or on TV is
        it important that your name looks good and that your target group remembers
        it. So you can register a Redirect URL of your own name, company-name or
        product-name. Or, you could choose a name that best describes your site.
        What are the types of membership?
        There are three ways for you to get a V3 Internet Identity for free:
        � POP-UP WINDOW
        You allow us to show a pop-up window every time your site gets visited. The
        content of this pop-up window will be same as in the case of a delay page,
        so you don't have to worry about questionable content.
        � DELAY PAGE
        You allow us to snap a "delay page" in the users browser every time your
        Redirect URL is used by your friends and/or customers. This page will be
        displayed for a couple of seconds and will contain a message by us or some
        of our clients. The contents of the delay pages are always G-Rated.
        � FRAME
        A small frame is added to your page. You can choose to have the V3 part of
        the frame at the top or on the bottom of the browsers window. The V3 part
        of the frame has an advertising banner in it.
        For people who want to get rid of all advertising during redirects, we have
        a paid option. For 18.00 US Dollars per year (only 1.50 US Dollars per
        month!), there will be no advertising at all.

        ----------
        > De: Ryan K. Johnson <rkj7723@...>
        > A: thewire@onelist.com
        > Asunto: [thewire] go.to/ addresses
        > Fecha: Martes 1 de Febrero de 2000 10:58 PM
        >
        > From: "Ryan K. Johnson" <rkj7723@...>
        >
        > This is incorrect. There are many internet sites with addresses
        > go.to/whatever.. my roommates Rainbow Six web site is go.to/dop
        >
        > In fact, the web page he lists, go.to/machina works. I would question the
        > legality of what he is doing, however.
        >

        > Ryan
        >

        > From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>
        >
        > Despite the following facts: a) emoshop@... spammed a number of
        > lists with this information b) it is pretty unlikely most people on
        this
        > list would be even mildly interested in new smashing pumpkins output
        >
        > I felt it necessary to point out the additional errata involved in
        > emoshop@... 's URL pointer, which claims the DNS domain of "go.to".
        It
        > should be relatively plain to most common Internet users, that domain
        names
        > can't end in 'to'. That said, I find this post a bit puzzling. I'd pass
        it
        > off as a joke if it weren't spammed to multiple groups. More likely it
        is
        > simply spam with typographical errors. If the case be the latter, I'd
        like
        > to extend the plea to emoshop@... to avoid correcting the error, and
        >
        > leave it at that.

        > Books, music, auctions and more! Amazon.com.

      • Pavel Frelik
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
          Hallo everybody,

          >all of the above are used by a well known redirect free service, V3
          >http://www.go.to/v3home.asp
          > (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of Tonga, the african
          >country)

          Well, just for the sake of clarity, Tonga is not an African country. It
          comprises a few bigger and many smaller islands and is located in
          Oceania.

          Also, I think (but I am not sure - so I am not trying to drive any
          argument here) the domain has not been bought
          from Tonga. These are just rerouting aliases (I am sure the insiders
          have a more technical name for it) using some of the latest
          HTML tech. Note, that there are no e-mail addresses with such
          domain addresses as "go.to/whataver." In most other cases,
          the main part of the webpage URL also constitutes the second
          part of your e-mail address.

          Pavel
        • Patrick Oliver
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
            --- franco ingrassia <ingrassia@...> wrote:
            (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of
            > Tonga, the african
            > country)

            ...odd that Tonga should should have drifted to the
            middle of the Pacific. I suppose this means you're not
            a fan of rugby, which is probably a good thing.
            http://im.yahoo.com