go.to/ addresses

  • Ryan K. Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
      This is incorrect. There are many internet sites with addresses
      go.to/whatever.. my roommates Rainbow Six web site is go.to/dop

      In fact, the web page he lists, go.to/machina works. I would question the
      legality of what he is doing, however.

      Ryan

      From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>

      Despite the following facts: a) emoshop@... spammed a number of
      lists with this information b) it is pretty unlikely most people on this
      list would be even mildly interested in new smashing pumpkins output

      I felt it necessary to point out the additional errata involved in
      emoshop@... 's URL pointer, which claims the DNS domain of "go.to". It
      should be relatively plain to most common Internet users, that domain names
      can't end in 'to'. That said, I find this post a bit puzzling. I'd pass it
      off as a joke if it weren't spammed to multiple groups. More likely it is
      simply spam with typographical errors. If the case be the latter, I'd like
      to extend the plea to emoshop@... to avoid correcting the error, and

      leave it at that.

    • Davis Ford
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
        > From: "Ryan K. Johnson" <rkj7723@...>
        >
        > This is incorrect. There are many internet sites with addresses
        > go.to/whatever.. my roommates Rainbow Six web site is go.to/dop
        >
        > In fact, the web page he lists, go.to/machina works. I would question the
        > legality of what he is doing, however.

        huh..my mistake. learn something everyday. maybe i should have followed
        the link...or not.

        Kingdom of Tonga..hmm. ah well..carry on.

        davis
      • franco ingrassia
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2000
          >It
          > should be relatively plain to most common Internet users, that domain
          names
          > can't end in 'to'.

          go.to
          come.to
          welcome.to
          zap.to
          sufrf.to

          all of the above are used by a well known redirect free service, V3
          http://www.go.to/v3home.asp
          (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of Tonga, the african
          country)

          here�s some info:

          About this service:
          Usually when you run a site your URL will look like
          http://www.mycompany.com If you are a home-user or own a small company
          this may be too expensive so your current URL most likely looks like:
          http://www.provider.com/~company. Needless to say, such a URL is difficult
          to remember and doesn't look nice.
          We can offer you a Redirect URL that will be easy to remember and does look
          cool! You keep your current service provider and current URL, which will be
          the Target-URL.
          If you run a site like: http://www.provider.com/~boris we could give you:
          http://come.to/boris. Of course you can think of anything to put behind
          "/", even multiple words. You can choose any word you like or which best
          describes your site.
          We ensure that when someone enters come.to/boris in his or her browser he
          or she will automatically be redirected to your site. Of course everybody
          can keep using your current URL, but once they experience the ease of your
          new Redirect URL, nobody will!!
          You will also get a corresponding e-mail Address. The redirect URL,
          together with the e-mail address we give you, provides you with a
          consistent and cool Internet Identity:

          Web : http://go.to/remy
          eMail : remy@...

          We try to add as many useful features to our service as possible.
          What are the advantages?
          � Life-long Internet Identity
          You can keep your Redirect URL for the rest of your life, even if you
          change from one service-provider to another or if your Target URL changes.
          The same goes for the e-mail address.
          � Easy to change
          Your personal password offers you the possibility to change your Redirect
          URL or current URL whenever you want.
          � Easy to remember
          The most important thing on the web is that people know how to find you,
          especially when you are promoting your site in advertisements. With your
          Redirect URL you can make sure your website will be found.
          � No charges
          We do not charge money for this service: In exchange we do a little
          advertising, you have 3 options.
          � Immediate activation
          If you register now, your Redirect URL will be active within a few minutes.
          Who can register a Redirect URL?
          If you have a site and you do not like your current URL you should register
          now! Our Redirect URL's are allocated on a first-come first-served basis so
          if someone else registers the Redirect URL of your choice it is impossible
          to get it back until they decide to delete it.
          What name should I register?
          If you promote your Redirect URL in advertisements, brochures or on TV is
          it important that your name looks good and that your target group remembers
          it. So you can register a Redirect URL of your own name, company-name or
          product-name. Or, you could choose a name that best describes your site.
          What are the types of membership?
          There are three ways for you to get a V3 Internet Identity for free:
          � POP-UP WINDOW
          You allow us to show a pop-up window every time your site gets visited. The
          content of this pop-up window will be same as in the case of a delay page,
          so you don't have to worry about questionable content.
          � DELAY PAGE
          You allow us to snap a "delay page" in the users browser every time your
          Redirect URL is used by your friends and/or customers. This page will be
          displayed for a couple of seconds and will contain a message by us or some
          of our clients. The contents of the delay pages are always G-Rated.
          � FRAME
          A small frame is added to your page. You can choose to have the V3 part of
          the frame at the top or on the bottom of the browsers window. The V3 part
          of the frame has an advertising banner in it.
          For people who want to get rid of all advertising during redirects, we have
          a paid option. For 18.00 US Dollars per year (only 1.50 US Dollars per
          month!), there will be no advertising at all.

          ----------
          > De: Ryan K. Johnson <rkj7723@...>
          > A: thewire@onelist.com
          > Asunto: [thewire] go.to/ addresses
          > Fecha: Martes 1 de Febrero de 2000 10:58 PM
          >
          > From: "Ryan K. Johnson" <rkj7723@...>
          >
          > This is incorrect. There are many internet sites with addresses
          > go.to/whatever.. my roommates Rainbow Six web site is go.to/dop
          >
          > In fact, the web page he lists, go.to/machina works. I would question the
          > legality of what he is doing, however.
          >

          > Ryan
          >

          > From: "Davis Ford" <forddavi@...>
          >
          > Despite the following facts: a) emoshop@... spammed a number of
          > lists with this information b) it is pretty unlikely most people on
          this
          > list would be even mildly interested in new smashing pumpkins output
          >
          > I felt it necessary to point out the additional errata involved in
          > emoshop@... 's URL pointer, which claims the DNS domain of "go.to".
          It
          > should be relatively plain to most common Internet users, that domain
          names
          > can't end in 'to'. That said, I find this post a bit puzzling. I'd pass
          it
          > off as a joke if it weren't spammed to multiple groups. More likely it
          is
          > simply spam with typographical errors. If the case be the latter, I'd
          like
          > to extend the plea to emoshop@... to avoid correcting the error, and
          >
          > leave it at that.

          > Books, music, auctions and more! Amazon.com.

        • Pavel Frelik
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
            Hallo everybody,

            >all of the above are used by a well known redirect free service, V3
            >http://www.go.to/v3home.asp
            > (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of Tonga, the african
            >country)

            Well, just for the sake of clarity, Tonga is not an African country. It
            comprises a few bigger and many smaller islands and is located in
            Oceania.

            Also, I think (but I am not sure - so I am not trying to drive any
            argument here) the domain has not been bought
            from Tonga. These are just rerouting aliases (I am sure the insiders
            have a more technical name for it) using some of the latest
            HTML tech. Note, that there are no e-mail addresses with such
            domain addresses as "go.to/whataver." In most other cases,
            the main part of the webpage URL also constitutes the second
            part of your e-mail address.

            Pavel
          • Patrick Oliver
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2000
              --- franco ingrassia <ingrassia@...> wrote:
              (i think they�ve bought the ".to" from the gov. of
              > Tonga, the african
              > country)

              ...odd that Tonga should should have drifted to the
              middle of the Pacific. I suppose this means you're not
              a fan of rugby, which is probably a good thing.
              http://im.yahoo.com