RE: Merzbow

  • Benito Vergara
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2000

      There's at least one or two I know of.

      Later,
      Ben
    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2000
        At 3:38 PM -0800 2/1/00, Benito Vergara wrote:
> [...]

        You should probably start w/the 50 CD box set, then move on from
        there to one of his several hundred (thousand?) other cds if you
        enjoy that.
        --

        Jason Witherspoon

        ---------
        --- X ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        com/~arz
        http://www.best.com/~arzachel
        www.best.com/~arzachel
        best.com/~a
      • Sean Keeble
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000

          > A pevious posting mentioned a group with an unusual name called
          > called "Merzbow".
          >
          > Can anyone tell me if they have any recordings available?

          nigel,
          you are taking the piss again !!!!!!!!!!!!
          bad boy!!!!!!!
        • Patrick Oliver
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
            --- Nigel Ayers <nigel.ayers@...> wrote:

            > I'm doing an auction of Thompson Twin 12 inches
            > (Including "We Are
            > Detective") at:

            Excuse my ignorance but is this anything to do with a
            1930's German installation?
            http://im.yahoo.com
          • DeeDee
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
              "Merzbow".

              > > Can anyone tell me if they have any recordings available?
              >
              > There's at least one or two I know of.

              I hear rumours of a greatest hits box set edition coming out soon which
              should be a perfect introduction to their sound, for starters.

              I have to say tough that most of their tunes I�ve heard lack the
              catchiness that similar groups like The Thompson Twins or Hayzee
              Fantayzze used to have....

              Cheers,
              DeeDee

              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Hrvatski
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 2, 2000
                >From: "R. Lim" <rlim@...>
                >
                >Yeah, it has everything to do with it (though I think Akita doesn't really
                >like to talk about this connection).
                >
                >(Part of?) Merzbau has apparently been reconstructed in Berlin for a
                >centennial-type celebration. It wasn't so much an "installation" per se,
                >but rather a transformation of Schwitters' studio (which was destroyed by
                >bombing during WWII). Am curious as to how the recreation is.

                Make that was reconstructed.
                It was taken down a week before I got to Berlin,
                two weeks ago.

                The original site in Hannover is nothing but rubble now.

                Reaction to the reconstruction seemed very positive... -V�t

                ____________________
                Reckankreuzungsklankewerkzeuge
                PO BOX 382864. Cambridge, MA 02238
                http://www.tiac.net/users/sheket/index.html
              • hugh.obrien@bench.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 8, 2000
                • scott v
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 7, 2000
                    >how is this disc?
                    >
                    >i read about it somewhere, but i don't remember if it was
                    >very good as and introduction to merzbow or very bad.
                    >
                    >which merzbow is best for beginners that are already into
                    >noise?

                    Well for me its hard to say, there was a great feature article in the August
                    2000 issue of The Wire on Masami upon the release of Merzbox. I personally
                    like Batzatoutai w/ Memorial Gadgets (the hard to find original RRR 2Lp),
                    1930, and The Prosperity Of Vice The Misfortune of Virtue (under the name
                    Masami Akita). i have Oersted, its not great but i don't think its bad
                    either...falls somewhere around his early to mid 90's period of full on
                    metallic ear crushing noise.

                    --Scott
                  • Simon Fay
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                      Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                      on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                      reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                      maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                      little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                      guidance?

                      thanks in advance

                      SF

                      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                    • Kristopher S. Handley
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                        Having only heard a baker's dozen, I'm nothing but a beginner, but I am very
                        happy with the two volumes of MUSIC FOR BONDAGE PERFORMANCE, the first of
                        which seems like a rather gentle and ambient concret piece using sounds of
                        wood, leather, metals, etc, IIRC. (Can't remember the substance of the
                        second volume too well.) I enjoyed ECOBONDAGE, which was the first and only
                        release on Jim O'Rourke's long defunct Distemper label; it's a beehive of
                        rather more shrill scraping and percussion textures, among other things.
                        I've been listening to the 1930 record on Tzadik, which I like a lot, though
                        it tends to escalate from loud blast to louder blast, the point of interest
                        being textural rather than dynamic. Finally, I really like this double CD
                        on RRR called BATZTOUTAI WITH MEMORIAL GADGETS, which is earlier Merz,
                        replete with tape fuckery and the plundering of fanfares and avant-classical
                        pieces, including stuff like INA-GRM electroacoustic. That might be my
                        favorite. I'm not much on PULSE DEMON, which seemed like a wall of white
                        noise, though I'll confess I didn't try very hard after the first 30minutes.

                        Weighed against output of the type mentioned above, I'd be very interested
                        to know how the Alien8 records stack up, as well as the double CD on
                        Extreme, or any others for that matter. I myself tend to like the
                        (noticeably) shifting textures.

                        ------s

                        np: Big Star, BIG STAR/RADIO CITY

                      • R. Lim
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                          On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Kristopher S. Handley wrote:

                          > second volume too well.) I enjoyed ECOBONDAGE, which was the first and only
                          > release on Jim O'Rourke's long defunct Distemper label; it's a beehive of

                          That wasn't Jim's label- I think it was run by his then-girlfriend (can't
                          remember her name off the top of my head, sorry). BTW, the LP originally
                          appeared on ZSF. Most of the records you cite are from his earlier, junky
                          tape-loops phase- Extreme did a 2CD reissue of Age of 369/Chance 2 which
                          is probably my favorite in this style (evincing towards his denser
                          wall-of-sound sound, soon to emerge in his essential breakout release,
                          Rainbow Electronics). I was in Milan 'round New Year's time but couldn't
                          arrange to see the Schwitters exhibition, fuuuck.

                          -rob
                        • stevolende
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                            --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                            > Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                            > on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                            > reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                            > maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                            > little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                            > guidance?

                            not too familiar with his stuff myself
                            only have a couple of compi appearances
                            but thats certainly the first time I heard the word nice used to
                            describe his music
                            -anybody here buy the BMW box set?
                            or did i get the wrong car
                            -would you have to get rid of the car once the cd wore out?
                            Stevo
                            Np Boston (-just been given it )
                          • sindre andersen
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                              I think you should try out the recent "Live At Molde Jazz Festival ", a live
                              collaboration with Jazzkammer, released on Smalltown Supersound,
                              a really good electronica/free jazz crossover thing, with some great blasts
                              of digitalness
                              The reamix CD Scumtron (Blast First) is also great
                              my favourite single track might be his 10" on Fat Cat, which puts to shame
                              all "noise has no rhythm" crap

                              sindre

                              >From: Simon Fay <simonfay2001@...>
                              >To: thewire@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [thewire] Merzbow
                              >Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:48:45 +0000 (GMT)
                              >
                              >Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                              >on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                              >reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                              >maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                              >little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                              >guidance?
                              >
                              >thanks in advance
                              >
                              >SF

                            • ralph2319311
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 25, 2002
                                If you like unlistenable noise, dive right in. I'm sure all the
                                people who shelled out for the work of art that is the Merzbox are
                                listening to the discs over and over again because they are so
                                entertaining.

                                --- In thewire@y..., Simon Fay <simonfay2001@y...> wrote:
                                > Only familiar with him by reputation, and that's based
                                > on prolific output-ness coupled with accomodating
                                > reviewers versus the odd "This man is a con-man"
                                > maverick critic. His recent 'Dharma' sounded nice, the
                                > little I've heard. Anyone able to offer further
                                > guidance?
                                >
                                > thanks in advance
                                >
                                > SF

                                > http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                              • Michael Gillham
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 26, 2002
                                  Of the items I have, my favourites are probably:
                                  "Noise Embryo" (Releasing Eskimo)
                                  "Pulse Demon" (Release)
                                  "Rod Drug 93" 7" (The Way Out Sound)

                                  Also recommended are the following live albums:
                                  "Noizhead" (Blast First)
                                  "Great Amercan Nude" (Alchemy)

                                  Some of you may be interested to see the Merzbow video
                                  special at newempire.com. The second part includes a
                                  great video for "Minus Zero". Search for "Merzbow"
                                  (obviously) at : http://www.newempire.com/

                                  http://uk.my.yahoo.com