Re: Fragments of noise

  • yocum@xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 1998
      >I'm very interested in music made from other sources. I was wondering if
      >anyone had recommendations for people making music using turntables. I'm
      >not thinking of the hip-hop style (although interesting as that is).

      I'm a little late in catching up on this thread, but I don't think anyone
      has mentioned Christian Marclay, who has been wreaking havoc with
      turntables since the early eighties. Some performances I've seen had him
      working five turntables at once and using a kid's portable turntable worn
      on a strap like a guitar in a tribute to Hendrix. I believe his "More
      Encores" is available on CD (and others as well, I just don't own them or
      know titles offhand) and may be of interest to you.
    • Tony_Derwent@xxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 1998
        Subject: Re: Fragments of noise

        Mark Coyle wrote:

        > I'm very interested in music made from other sources. I was wondering if
        > anyone had recommendations for people making music using turntables.

        Try MORE ENCORES by Christian Marclay
        out on No Man's Land (Germany), nml 8816 (10" LP) 1989 issue and on ReR Megacorp
        (UK), ReR CM1 (CD) in 1997

        the sleevenotes read:-

        Each piece is composed entirely of records by the artist after whom it is
        titled. "John Cage" is a recording of a collage made by cutting slices from
        several records and gluing them back into a single disc. In all other pieces the
        records were mixed and manipulated on multiple turntables and recorded analog
        with the use of overdubbing. A hand-crank gramophone was used in
        "Louis Armstrong".
      • Mark Coyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 1998
          Hi

          >I missed the original post in this thread. Possibly it expressly ruled out
          the
          >"new Turntablism" school of hip-hop currently getting a lot of press (Bomb
          >Records, etc.). If not, the 12" 'Invisibl Skratch Piklz vs Da Klamz Uv
          Deth' is
          >a dazzling and outrageously entertaining piece of turntable proficiency and
          >music-buckling sound manipulation.

          Yes I am aware of the new hip hop turntablism. It is excellent, DJ Faust,
          Mixmaster Mike and all the others.

          >And somebody mentioned Otomo Yoshihide of Ground Zero. While I don't
          believe
          >turntables are involved, if you're looking for "Fragments of Noise", the
          first
          >track on his 'Sound Factory' CD takes the cut-and-paste ethos to extremes
          of
          >dizzying velocity, and is one of the most brain-melting things I heard last
          >year.

          Know where I can find his records in the UK, perhaps even on-line?

          Got David Shea's "Tower Of Mirrors" on at the moment. First time hearing,
          ear melting! Excellent.

          Cheers and thanks
          Mark

          >Cheers,