RE: African Headcharge (was:epiphanies)

  • Gwendal Cobert
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
      "environmental studies" is, to me, the epitome of
      > headcharge;
      Thanks to the kind souls who answered my questiion about AHC - this one I
      have been able to find yesterday ("Songs of Praise" I hope to find this
      WE...) and listen to this morning, which was great, because I love this
      album, and not so great, because it really puzzled me in many ways : I
      really love the way Sherwood plays with the listener's ears, for example on
      track eight, with the melodic bass line barely audible except for the two
      times when the drumming almost stops, but constantly present - and more
      gnerally, the fact that there always seems to be several levels of listening
      in each track... another track which really puzzled me was the fifth (snack
      something), with this ever-repeating loop of trumpet sounding as though it
      comes from very far : how does he manage to get that kinnd of sound ? and
      the end of the piece suddenly seems to start in all directions at once, are
      there any albums where these directions are actually explored ? This track
      strongly reminded me of the Sabres of Paradies' "Wilmot" - are there any
      connections between Sherwood and Weatherall ? And also, I noticed the
      musicians were mostly indicated by their nicknames, but the tracks credits
      were normal names - do you happen to know which musicians were the composers
      ? And finally, what are the other On-U Sound releases worth ? What did the
      musicians do apart from AHC ? This CD is full of incredible sounds and great
      melodies, and hints at very experimental researches from the producer, where
      else does he exploits these ? sorry if it seems like a question flood, but
      I'm completely new to this sort of music, and it looks as though I've just
      found a whole world of sound for me to explore...
      BTW - some of the listening tricks reminded me of Muslimgauze - anybode here
      has purchased "Hand of Fatima" ? it is something like my tenth Muslimgauze
      album, but the first time I'm really disappointed - sounds like a dull
      repetition of other things to me.
      Gwendal
    • Jason Witherspoon
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
        At 2:19 AM -0800 12/2/99, Gwendal Cobert wrote:
        >And finally, what are the other On-U Sound releases worth ?

        Missing Brazilians is pretty amazing. Well, I could do w/o the vocal
        tracks, for the most part.

        Jason Witherspoon

        ---------
        --- X ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        --- ---
        com/~arz
        http://www.best.com/~arzachel
        www.best.com/~arzachel
        best.com/~a
      • Keith McColl
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
          PAY IT ALL BACK VOL 2 HAS FABULOUS LEE PERRY TRACK,AND GENERALLY IS A
          GOOD COMPILATION.MAY BE QUITE HARD TO GET NOW.BUT WORTH TRACKING DOWN.

          Opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, not the
          company unless specifically indicated to that effect. This e-mail and
          any attachments are confidential and solely for the use of the intended
          recipient. If you are not the intended recipient we apologise for any
          inconvenience. Please return to the sender. Any use or copying of this
          e-mail or attachments is strictly prohibited

        • Kevin Hankey
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 1999
            all the pay it all back series (up to 4) for a wide
            range of brilliant & varied on u tracks

            singers & players album [b/w cover]
            all early dub syndicate albums
            that yellow vinyl tackhead album with all the singles
            on....
            all early mark stewart albums

            theres still a site alive at
            http://www.obsolete.com/onu/

            whats adrian sherwood up to nowadays? i miss all this
            stuff happening

            =====
            k.
            4x3.com

          • Keith McColl
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 1999
              apparently hes at west ham every week-poor sod