Brian Eno diary

  • J. Free
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 1999
      I get the Wire list in digest from, so if this is old business, please excuse me. In regards to the comments about Brian Eno's diary, A Year with Swollen Apendices, I would like to offer a few observations. It probably does take a huge ego to publish one's diary, but probably no more than the ego it takes to put one's art out in front of the public in general.

      Several years ago, when the whole so-called "indie" boom hit, as a reaction against the mainstream, nearly artist I interviewed tried to establish their "indie" credibility by denouncing the old guard on the basis of egocentricism. These brash young upstarts claimed that the hope of future art lied in the destruction of ego. If that's true, then why should any of us be interested in what they have to offer? It certainly takes some kind of ego to challenge tradition and offer something to either complement it or take its' place, I believe, and I think that is a good thing.

      Brian Eno has been a lucky guy for quite a while now, and while I have never bought into the "Eno is God" dogma that still traverses post-prog communities, I think he has had a few interesting ideas, if not theoretical approaches to composition and production. I guess I don't see how that qualifies as "pretension", either - the other easy target for people whose envy is barely concealed. The only unfortunate thing I felt regarding his journals is that he spent so much time with U2, who have not been all that intersting for quite some time, in my opinion.

      I think a lot of people should publish their diaries, if only to provide a glimpse into the everyday thought process that determines what motivates us to create, and to appreciate the creations of others. Go ahead and try writing down every conscious thought that dictates whatever activities a single day consists of. I guarantee you'll never be able to take anything for granted again.

      Thanks for indulging me.

      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      J. Free <<J.Free@...>>
      <<http://www.angelfire.com/mn/newpuritanreview>>
      The New Puritan ReView
      P.O. Box 581848  Mpls MN 55458-1848  USA
      800/484-9502 code 3029  Mpls: 612/871-1990 ex 1
      ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
      "beatnik journalism for the spoiled
      brats of the me generation"

    • Jezz
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 1999
        > Brian Eno has been a lucky guy for quite a while now, and while I
        > have never bought into the "Eno is God" dogma that still
        > traverses post-prog communities, I think he has had a few
        > interesting ideas, if not theoretical approaches to composition
        > and production. I guess I don't see how that qualifies as
        > "pretension", either - the other easy target for people whose
        > envy is barely concealed. The only unfortunate thing I felt
        > regarding his journals is that he spent so much time with U2, who
        > have not been all that intersting for quite some time, in my opinion.

        In fact in the diary he makes a big argument in defending "pretension",
        saying something along the lines that it is healthy and creative to pretend
        to be something you're not, to adopt different personas/attitudes/etc.
        Calling someone pretentious should be taken as a compliment as it indicates
        their desire/ability to explore new approaches. He said it better.

        | jezz@... |
        | jezz@... |
        | http://www.bluebear.org.uk |
        | MIDI, SYNTHS, CIRCUITS, STUFF |