Re: Re: Random

  • Per-Christian Hille
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 1999
      > As for random play I try to respect the intention of the artist who
      > presumably has a reason for programming the tracks where they are (more than
      > just fast track, slow track, etc).
      yeah, but sometimes the record company reshuffles the running order without
      confering with the artist - VU's "Loaded" is a classic example.
      anyway, as long as i have a cd-player, i have no qualms about programming
      out the tracks i don't like; i couldn't care less if the artist's intention
      was for me to listen and like it as a whole.

      > Mind you, I still divide CDs into 'sides' like they're old vinyl LPs.
      ?????? how?!? by pausing the cd halfway thru, for the half minute it would
      take you to flip the record over ? ;)

      pc
    • Ryan K. Johnson
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 1999
        There is a John Cage double cd out there like this... while each disc has
        maybe 15-20 songs or whatever, there are a total of 99 i think tracks on
        each disc. The editor suggests using the random play to experience some of
        Cage's ideas on chance. It's a very different, and in a way difficult
        listen, as it will jump into the middle of a song for a few seconds, and
        then throw the listener somewhere else completely different.

        Ryan