Eno's software

  • Greg Penfold
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
      There was some Eno-endorsed musical software released at the same time as
      the "Swollen Appendices" book which I never got to play with - any comments
      on the subject?
    • impakt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hi Greg

        Check www.sseyo.com or send an email to koaninfo@...

        The software Eno used is called Koan and is developed by Sseyo.

        Roland
      • Peter Marsh
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999

          roland wrote:

          >Check www.sseyo.com or send an email to koaninfo@...

          >The software Eno used is called Koan and is developed by Sseyo.

          eno released an album of koan pieces which existed only on a floppy (they're
          kind of semi-determinate midi files which sound different every time you
          play them), but you needed a PC with an AWE32 soundcard (play it on a SB16
          for a fairly good impression of an ice cream van jingle programmed by eno).
          the koan software is now available for the mac (hurrah) and is well worth
          dicking around with. in eno's diary he fantasises about using koan to write
          film soundtracks, generating a bunch of pieces, getting the director to
          choose one and settle up with his secretary on the way out. there was an
          interview on mixing it where eno waxed lyrical about koan and even went so
          far as to suggest it would be the delivery medium of the future. he
          envisaged our grandchildren would express amazement that our generation
          would listen to records or cds which are the same every time... hmmm....

          peter
        • Peter Marsh
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999

            roland wrote:

            >Check www.sseyo.com or send an email to koaninfo@...

            >The software Eno used is called Koan and is developed by Sseyo.

            eno released an album of koan pieces which existed only on a floppy (they're
            kind of semi-determinate midi files which sound different every time you
            play them), but you needed a PC with an AWE32 soundcard (play it on a SB16
            for a fairly good impression of an ice cream van jingle programmed by eno).
            the koan software is now available for the mac (hurrah) and is well worth
            dicking around with. in eno's diary he fantasises about using koan to write
            film soundtracks, generating a bunch of pieces, getting the director to
            choose one and settle up with his secretary on the way out. there was an
            interview on mixing it where eno waxed lyrical about koan and even went so
            far as to suggest it would be the delivery medium of the future. he
            envisaged our grandchildren would express amazement that our generation
            would listen to records or cds which are the same every time... hmmm....

            peter
          • Alon Namdar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 1999
              >he envisaged our grandchildren would express amazement that our generation
              >would listen to records or cds which are the same every time... hmmm....

              Which reminds me of a mate of mine whose allways freaked out when
              he sees me listening to music with the cd player set to random (shuffle).
              he says its distrupting the concept of the music as an album.
              i think hes right, its just that id rather do that than get board so
              easily by an album i only just got ...
              alon.