Re: eno's book

  • dan hill
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
      >Has anyone read the latest David Toop - I thought Rap Attack
      >and Oceans of Sound were great, but have seen some bad
      >reviews of the new one (who's title eludes me ATM).

      'exotica' (also serpents tail)

      it's excellent, imho. some familiar toop themes from ocean of sound, though
      usually covering different musical terrain.

      d.

      ---+ dan hill [state51]
      ---+ new reviews on motion [31.10.99]:
      < harriet tubman | depth charge | 310 | david sylvian | henry kaiser/fred
      frith | american analog set >
      http://motion.state51.co.uk/ +---
    • Steven Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
        > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With
        > Swollen
        > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
        > > thanks,
        >
        > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
        > readable.
        >
        > It also made me /very/ jealous.

        Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended this book by
        someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and Clannad(!)...
        and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a snob!). Sounds
        like another book I will buy and never have time to finish ;)

        Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle? the people he
        has worked with? his musical insight?...

        Steve
      • Andrew O'Donnell
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
          Worth it for the cynical dismissal of entire genres he mapped out and
          finding out your hero likes to distort women's buttocks in photoshop.
          Fascinating in a pretentious middle aged white person's sort of way.....
        • Andrew Cox
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
            > > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year
            With
            > > Swollen
            > > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
            > > > thanks,
            > >
            > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
            > > readable.
            > >
            > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
            >
            > Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended
            this book by
            > someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and
            Clannad(!)...
            > and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a
            snob!). Sounds
            > like another book I will buy and never have time to finish
            ;)

            > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
            the people he
            > has worked with? his musical insight?...

            His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
            PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
            people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
            occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

            I WANT TO DO THAT!!!
          • Steven Taylor
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
              > > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
              > > > readable.
              > > >
              > > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
              > >
              > > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
              > the people he
              > > has worked with? his musical insight?...
              >
              > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
              > PhotoShop all morning, record some music,

              oh i used to do this when i was unemployed... I got bored eventually!

              > meet interesting
              > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
              > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

              hmm but i never had much of this though...! probably why i got bored ;)

              > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

              Yeah.
              Damn.

              Steve
            • Per-Christian Hille
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
                >> Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                >> the people he
                >> has worked with? his musical insight?...
                >
                > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                > PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
                > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.
                >
                > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

                Right, thanks! Now you've got me jealous aswell!!
                pc