Re: eno's book

  • Andrew Cox
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
      From: Maxwell A. Croy <akira@...>
      To: <thewire@onelist.com>
      Sent: 01 November 1999 19:02
      Subject: [thewire] eno's book

      > From: "Maxwell A. Croy" <akira@...>
      >
      > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With
      Swollen
      > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
      > thanks,

      Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
      readable.

      It also made me /very/ jealous.

      Has anyone read the latest David Toop - I thought Rap Attack
      and Oceans of Sound were great, but have seen some bad
      reviews of the new one (who's title eludes me ATM).
    • dan hill
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
        >Has anyone read the latest David Toop - I thought Rap Attack
        >and Oceans of Sound were great, but have seen some bad
        >reviews of the new one (who's title eludes me ATM).

        'exotica' (also serpents tail)

        it's excellent, imho. some familiar toop themes from ocean of sound, though
        usually covering different musical terrain.

        d.

        ---+ dan hill [state51]
        ---+ new reviews on motion [31.10.99]:
        < harriet tubman | depth charge | 310 | david sylvian | henry kaiser/fred
        frith | american analog set >
        http://motion.state51.co.uk/ +---
      • Steven Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
          > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With
          > Swollen
          > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
          > > thanks,
          >
          > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
          > readable.
          >
          > It also made me /very/ jealous.

          Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended this book by
          someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and Clannad(!)...
          and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a snob!). Sounds
          like another book I will buy and never have time to finish ;)

          Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle? the people he
          has worked with? his musical insight?...

          Steve
        • Andrew O'Donnell
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
            Worth it for the cynical dismissal of entire genres he mapped out and
            finding out your hero likes to distort women's buttocks in photoshop.
            Fascinating in a pretentious middle aged white person's sort of way.....
          • Andrew Cox
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
              > > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year
              With
              > > Swollen
              > > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
              > > > thanks,
              > >
              > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
              > > readable.
              > >
              > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
              >
              > Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended
              this book by
              > someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and
              Clannad(!)...
              > and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a
              snob!). Sounds
              > like another book I will buy and never have time to finish
              ;)

              > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
              the people he
              > has worked with? his musical insight?...

              His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
              PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
              people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
              occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

              I WANT TO DO THAT!!!
            • Steven Taylor
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
                > > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
                > > > readable.
                > > >
                > > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
                > >
                > > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                > the people he
                > > has worked with? his musical insight?...
                >
                > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                > PhotoShop all morning, record some music,

                oh i used to do this when i was unemployed... I got bored eventually!

                > meet interesting
                > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

                hmm but i never had much of this though...! probably why i got bored ;)

                > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

                Yeah.
                Damn.

                Steve
              • Per-Christian Hille
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1, 1999
                  >> Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                  >> the people he
                  >> has worked with? his musical insight?...
                  >
                  > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                  > PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
                  > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                  > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.
                  >
                  > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

                  Right, thanks! Now you've got me jealous aswell!!
                  pc