eno's book

  • Maxwell A. Croy
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1 11:02 AM
      Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With Swollen
      Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
      thanks,

      -
      Maxwell A. Croy
    • Andrew Cox
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1 11:08 AM
        > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With
        Swollen
        > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
        > thanks,

        Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
        readable.

        It also made me /very/ jealous.

        Has anyone read the latest David Toop - I thought Rap Attack
        and Oceans of Sound were great, but have seen some bad
        reviews of the new one (who's title eludes me ATM).
      • dan hill
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1 11:26 AM
          >Has anyone read the latest David Toop - I thought Rap Attack
          >and Oceans of Sound were great, but have seen some bad
          >reviews of the new one (who's title eludes me ATM).

          'exotica' (also serpents tail)

          it's excellent, imho. some familiar toop themes from ocean of sound, though
          usually covering different musical terrain.

          d.

          ---+ dan hill [state51]
          ---+ new reviews on motion [31.10.99]:
          < harriet tubman | depth charge | 310 | david sylvian | henry kaiser/fred
          frith | american analog set >
          http://motion.state51.co.uk/ +---
        • Steven Taylor
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1 11:35 AM
            > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year With
            > Swollen
            > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
            > > thanks,
            >
            > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
            > readable.
            >
            > It also made me /very/ jealous.

            Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended this book by
            someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and Clannad(!)...
            and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a snob!). Sounds
            like another book I will buy and never have time to finish ;)

            Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle? the people he
            has worked with? his musical insight?...

            Steve
          • Andrew O'Donnell
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1 11:45 AM
              Worth it for the cynical dismissal of entire genres he mapped out and
              finding out your hero likes to distort women's buttocks in photoshop.
              Fascinating in a pretentious middle aged white person's sort of way.....
            • Andrew Cox
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 1 1:48 PM
                > > > Could someone give me some feedback on Eno's "A Year
                With
                > > Swollen
                > > > Appendices"? Assuming you've read it, that is.
                > > > thanks,
                > >
                > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
                > > readable.
                > >
                > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
                >
                > Ah youve got me very interested now, I was reccomended
                this book by
                > someone whose musical interests were solely Brian Eno and
                Clannad(!)...
                > and i kinda didnt take him too seriously (i know, im a
                snob!). Sounds
                > like another book I will buy and never have time to finish
                ;)

                > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                the people he
                > has worked with? his musical insight?...

                His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
                people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

                I WANT TO DO THAT!!!
              • Steven Taylor
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 1 1:56 PM
                  > > > Excellent book. Humorous, thought-provoking, and very
                  > > > readable.
                  > > >
                  > > > It also made me /very/ jealous.
                  > >
                  > > Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                  > the people he
                  > > has worked with? his musical insight?...
                  >
                  > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                  > PhotoShop all morning, record some music,

                  oh i used to do this when i was unemployed... I got bored eventually!

                  > meet interesting
                  > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                  > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.

                  hmm but i never had much of this though...! probably why i got bored ;)

                  > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

                  Yeah.
                  Damn.

                  Steve
                • Per-Christian Hille
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 1 10:10 PM
                    >> Out of interest what are you jealous of? his lifestyle?
                    >> the people he
                    >> has worked with? his musical insight?...
                    >
                    > His general lifestyle - get up, go to studio, piss around in
                    > PhotoShop all morning, record some music, meet interesting
                    > people for a great meal, then home to a loving family. With
                    > occasional trips abroad when things get dull.
                    >
                    > I WANT TO DO THAT!!!

                    Right, thanks! Now you've got me jealous aswell!!
                    pc