Re: Hello! Is there anybody Out There?

  • Iris Light
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 1998
      Hi Anna,

      I have also just joined the list, and wondered whether anyoned
      was out there!
      I liked your opinions regarding Einstruzende Nuebauten. When I
      first heard them - in Red Rhino records, York - they blew me away.
      A friend of mine asked me how I could like a band who (a) didn't
      use instruments in the traditional sense, abd (b) how i
      understood the lyrics.
      My answer was quite simple, it doesn't matter what language the
      lyrics are in, the lyrics and sound more universal and almost
      transcend the need for translation. And the music they created
      was the perfect back drop for the lyrics.
      I have to agree with JAMC a little about recent EN music. It has
      lost something when compared to earlier recordings, but then
      their music is still a cut above a lot of other bands.

      As for Techno, I think that scene has a lot to offer, and a lot of
      variety. The Dance scene in general is probably wider than the
      Industrial Scene has ever been. However, with variety obviously
      comes an awful lot of rubbish, but then there is always a price to
      pay!
      The techno scene, to me, includes ambient, drum'n' bass,
      breakbeat etc. etc. and as such there is no real limit to what is
      created, I tihnk it is one of the most interesting scenes/genres
      around.
      Anyway, hopefully we've created a little food for thought!
      Best wishes,
      --
      Adam Sykes
      IRIS LIGHT RECORDS

      Fax: +44 (0) 1637 881543
      WebSite: http://www.irislight.demon.co.uk

      Forthcoming Releases:

      i-LIGHT011CD BAND OF PAIN "Reculver"
      i-LIGHT006CD SZEKI KURVA "The Fearless Vampire Killers"
      i-LIGHT012CD SONIC SUB JUNKIES "Molotov Lounge"
      i-LIGHT014CD PEARSHAPED "Access To Tools"
    • Big Blue Engine
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 1998
        Hello,

        You are not alone, but as I only joined yesterday having read about it
        in this month's Wire I wasn't sure about the form.

        > I must say I was rather thrilled to find out about this list, as
        > I've often wished that there was a list devoted to Adventures In Modern
        > Music... My addiction to music began when I was 14. And I have to admit,
        > it *is* an addiction.

        Mine began when I was three or four, seriously, my parent's found that
        records kept me quiet, and still do,

        I like most things, sometimes it's hard to get too enthused about alot
        of music, at times I feel 'swamped'. But Wire has been a good guide and
        companion for the last four years or so. However I still like music
        close to, and occasionally in the mainstream, and why not I think 'pop'
        music was my first love, old blue Philips label 45's, Decca, Parlophone.

        I think the only important thing is that music moves you, whether to
        peaks of delight or howls of derision, if it causes a reaction that's
        good, if you listen to it and go, 'well erm', as I did listening to
        something the other day then that's sad. And if you listen to radio in
        the Midlands of England you're not likely to be on this list.

        Right. Is there anyone else out there?

        Gordon
      • Vince Millett
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 1998
          At 18:00 26/05/98 +0100, you wrote:
          >As for Techno, I think that scene has a lot to offer, and a lot of
          >variety. The Dance scene in general is probably wider than the
          >Industrial Scene has ever been. However, with variety obviously
          >comes an awful lot of rubbish, but then there is always a price to
          >pay!
          >The techno scene, to me, includes ambient, drum'n' bass,
          >breakbeat etc. etc. and as such there is no real limit to what is
          >created, I tihnk it is one of the most interesting scenes/genres
          >around.
          >Anyway, hopefully we've created a little food for thought!
          >Best wishes,
          >Adam Sykes
          >IRIS LIGHT RECORDS

          I agree! My own interests are particularly in the areas where electronic
          dance music interacts with various ethnic music forms: Transglobal
          Underground/Natasha Atlas, the barraka el farnatshi label, the Outcaste
          label, the whole Anokha/Asian Underground scene, Martyn Bennett, Suns of
          Arqa etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

          Vince Millett
          Broken Drum Records
          Secret Archives of the Vatican (new album Reformation available 15th June)