Oswald

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 1998
      finally got around to downloading the available john oswald material on the web.
      this is my
      introduction to his stuff. really, quite interesting. i started with the
      Rubiyat EP. some of his
      stuff has what i consider to be simple generic shtick appeal, but there are
      serious moments of pure
      brilliance involved. i'm really fascinated with the tim buckley reconstruction
      "anon." completely
      stunning.

      i also just listened to the capt. beefheart mix "replica." it's funny, but if i
      wasn't listening
      carefully, i really wouldn't notice the difference from a trout mask original.
      i guess, for me,
      don's work is just so cut-up, disjointed, and brilliantly dischordant that
      there's not much you can
      do to deconstruct it. i'd like to see oswald attempt something like an oval
      mix.

      that said, where have the 168 people on this list gone? maybe we should run
      through another
      "recently bought/acquired" tread, or else start up the old gender debate again
      (anna?) - ..(btw, i'm
      only kidding about that)

      hope all is well in your area.

      davis