Hello! Is there anybody Out There?

  • Anna Clare McDuff
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 1998
      Hello,

      I joined this list a few days ago, but have not had any messages,
      so I've decided to break my usual rule of lurking for a bit before posting
      to a new list, as lurking doesn't seem to be very profitable here! Its
      quite strange posting into a void, although I have it on good authority
      that there are forty fellow Wire devotees out there... And hopefully some
      more soon, as the Wire have advertised this list in the lastest issue...

      I must say I was rather thrilled to find out about this list, as
      I've often wished that there was a list devoted to Adventures In Modern
      Music... My addiction to music began when I was 14. And I have to admit,
      it *is* an addiction. Prior to that, I had listened to music, but not
      cared much about it. Music was Trad Jazz, Chamber Music, pop from the
      radio, the Beatles and Abba albums my parents gave me, and it was OK,
      but it was predictable, formulaic, and it didn't really touch me... Then
      one day I decided that as I was a teenager now, I had to go to the local
      "cool" record shop and buy an album, because that was what *real*
      teenagers did :-)I wandered around for a while and then I chose
      Einstuerzende Neubauten's Drawings of Patient O.T. more or less at random
      because I liked the cover... If you've ever heard this album, you can
      imagine the shock I got when I took it home and dropped the needle on the
      vinyl... :-) I think that shock's still with me somewhere...it wasn't
      the sort of thing that could be forgot... it was a mind altering
      experience. It had never occured to me that music could be
      that way, that it could be so *raw* , so awkward, and so passionate...
      The only thing I can compare that experience to is to reading Langston
      Hughes for the first time, age 8, and realising that poetry didn't
      *have* to witter on endlessly about daffodils, or lamplighters, or black
      sheep, and could intead be pure distilled emotion... What happens to a
      dream deferred?

      I spent hours and hours listening to that album, trying to make
      sense of it, trying to understand how it could possibly be what it was,
      how it could affect me the way it did. It was a long time before I could
      hope to understand what was going on, it was necessary to build up a
      context to place it in, to wait for the shock of the new to subside a
      bit before I could really *listen* and hear the music....

      I was really reminded of all this by the REbellious Jukebox in
      the new issue of the Wire, where Jim Reid of the Jesus and Mary Chain
      opines that EN have "lost the plot" and that their glory was/is in the
      shock of the new...how did he phrase it? "they were all about saying: I bet
      you didn't know you could do *this* with an old fridge and a chainsaw"
      Something like that. I don't have my copy at hand, unfortunately. BUt I
      remember the gist, and I disagree with it. I don't think EN would have
      been worth much if all they had ever done was make shocking new noises,
      from new sources. To me, their value lies in their genius for
      expressing human universals in an orginal manner, being originally
      unoriginal, as it were. THe Chainsaw & Fridge lark was fun while they
      were into it, but it was relatively unimportant, a mere wrapping for
      their emotional/Romantic core....Although it was quite hard, for me at
      least, to see through to that core, though I could *feel* it from the
      beginning.

      So what do you think? I suppose this is yet another version of
      the old Form/ Content debate, but its on my mind. Although I've
      discussed this in terms of EN it applies to most of the music featured
      in the Wire, most of which seems to either fall in to the "radical
      form" camp or attempt to straddle the line between form and content..
      Much as I love the buzz of being bewildered by some radical new sound,
      I don't think I could care much about it if that was all that was
      there, if the music wasn't expressing something that was important to
      me. So in that sense, Content has it all over Form. On the other hand,
      music becomes stifling and numbing when hedged in by too much
      convention... and conventions seem to pop up in music faster than they
      can be logged... look at the techno scene (or whatever its called
      today, you know what I mean... :-))

      Any Ideas?

      Anna
    • Iris Light
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 1998
        Hi Anna,

        I have also just joined the list, and wondered whether anyoned
        was out there!
        I liked your opinions regarding Einstruzende Nuebauten. When I
        first heard them - in Red Rhino records, York - they blew me away.
        A friend of mine asked me how I could like a band who (a) didn't
        use instruments in the traditional sense, abd (b) how i
        understood the lyrics.
        My answer was quite simple, it doesn't matter what language the
        lyrics are in, the lyrics and sound more universal and almost
        transcend the need for translation. And the music they created
        was the perfect back drop for the lyrics.
        I have to agree with JAMC a little about recent EN music. It has
        lost something when compared to earlier recordings, but then
        their music is still a cut above a lot of other bands.

        As for Techno, I think that scene has a lot to offer, and a lot of
        variety. The Dance scene in general is probably wider than the
        Industrial Scene has ever been. However, with variety obviously
        comes an awful lot of rubbish, but then there is always a price to
        pay!
        The techno scene, to me, includes ambient, drum'n' bass,
        breakbeat etc. etc. and as such there is no real limit to what is
        created, I tihnk it is one of the most interesting scenes/genres
        around.
        Anyway, hopefully we've created a little food for thought!
        Best wishes,
        --
        Adam Sykes
        IRIS LIGHT RECORDS

        Fax: +44 (0) 1637 881543
        WebSite: http://www.irislight.demon.co.uk

        Forthcoming Releases:

        i-LIGHT011CD BAND OF PAIN "Reculver"
        i-LIGHT006CD SZEKI KURVA "The Fearless Vampire Killers"
        i-LIGHT012CD SONIC SUB JUNKIES "Molotov Lounge"
        i-LIGHT014CD PEARSHAPED "Access To Tools"
      • Big Blue Engine
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 1998
          Hello,

          You are not alone, but as I only joined yesterday having read about it
          in this month's Wire I wasn't sure about the form.

          > I must say I was rather thrilled to find out about this list, as
          > I've often wished that there was a list devoted to Adventures In Modern
          > Music... My addiction to music began when I was 14. And I have to admit,
          > it *is* an addiction.

          Mine began when I was three or four, seriously, my parent's found that
          records kept me quiet, and still do,

          I like most things, sometimes it's hard to get too enthused about alot
          of music, at times I feel 'swamped'. But Wire has been a good guide and
          companion for the last four years or so. However I still like music
          close to, and occasionally in the mainstream, and why not I think 'pop'
          music was my first love, old blue Philips label 45's, Decca, Parlophone.

          I think the only important thing is that music moves you, whether to
          peaks of delight or howls of derision, if it causes a reaction that's
          good, if you listen to it and go, 'well erm', as I did listening to
          something the other day then that's sad. And if you listen to radio in
          the Midlands of England you're not likely to be on this list.

          Right. Is there anyone else out there?

          Gordon
        • Vince Millett
          Message 4 of 4 , May 26, 1998
            At 18:00 26/05/98 +0100, you wrote:
            >As for Techno, I think that scene has a lot to offer, and a lot of
            >variety. The Dance scene in general is probably wider than the
            >Industrial Scene has ever been. However, with variety obviously
            >comes an awful lot of rubbish, but then there is always a price to
            >pay!
            >The techno scene, to me, includes ambient, drum'n' bass,
            >breakbeat etc. etc. and as such there is no real limit to what is
            >created, I tihnk it is one of the most interesting scenes/genres
            >around.
            >Anyway, hopefully we've created a little food for thought!
            >Best wishes,
            >Adam Sykes
            >IRIS LIGHT RECORDS

            I agree! My own interests are particularly in the areas where electronic
            dance music interacts with various ethnic music forms: Transglobal
            Underground/Natasha Atlas, the barraka el farnatshi label, the Outcaste
            label, the whole Anokha/Asian Underground scene, Martyn Bennett, Suns of
            Arqa etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

            Vince Millett
            Broken Drum Records
            Secret Archives of the Vatican (new album Reformation available 15th June)