Sun Ra

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 1998
      > > Modulations & Transformations is a 2cd set... [blah, blah, blah]
      > Question #1: Was anybody else more than just a tad bit put out by the
      > fact that the Sidewinder track was just a bunch of recycled Techno Animal
      > noises and rhythms? Maybe I'm being too fussy for my own good, but if I
      > really want to hear "Intercranial", I'll throw on EL3 and be happy.

      I haven't really had a chance to listen to the whole thing yet..

      > Question #2: Okay, so this doesn't have anything to do with M&T3, but I
      > did recently grab a copy of Sun Ra's _Space Is The Place_ on the strength
      > of all of the hype that it has been receiving lately and, frankly, I
      > don't get it. Should I chalk this one up as another jazz classic that I
      > just don't understand, or does the title track actually sound like half-
      > baked John Zorn material? Could anybody point me in the direction of
      > other Sun Ra releases that aren't quite so... um... improvised, and in
      > which the band occasionally sounds as though it's playing together.

      SITP is definitely one of Sun Ra's more 'challenging' works. I've had it for
      some time now, and I have to admit I feel somewhat the same way. There are
      moments of brilliance on it. It's one of those albums that, for me, needs to be
      heard in a certain situation, and afterwards it becomes a classic. This hasn't
      happened yet, tho. On the other hand, I have Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy,
      which is definitely as abstract, but highly more infectious. It was around this
      time that one of Ra's players learned how to adjust some funny reverb knob on
      their recording equipment, thus creating a warped type of 'dub' sound. It
      sounds
      at times like 'dub tupperware banging' with oboe entrails, and sax screeches. I
      like this one alot. As far as more coherent albums, I got totally hooked on Sun
      Ra after buying Visits Planet Earth / Interstellar Low Ways. Very addictive
      early jazz big band style with a warped spacey twist and exotica aesthetics.
      Try
      picking that up. It got me hooked. After that, I bought a whole slew of Sun Ra
      records, and I love every one of them.

      davis
    • Robert Killip
      Message 2 of 2 , May 16, 1999
        Sun Ra's music was so unpredictable - as were his live performances. If you have a chance to get hold of "Strange Celestial Road" - grab it. I have owned dozens of Ra's albums, many on his Saturn label, but for me the above is the most accesible and brilliant - try it!
        Robert