Meredith Monk

  • Robert Killip
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 1998
      I also was inspired to buy a Meredith Monk recording after reading Anna's many
      eulogies. I have just acquired Volcano Songs - and it is quite strange! For the
      most part, unaccompanied voice(s) and just one of the many tracks has
      discernible words. I have listened to it three times so far - I'm reserving
      judgement! I'm not sure what is the right environment for this type of music -
      it is interesting, but not relaxing or stirring. Another of the type that
      provokes adverse comment from my wife as she passes by. I mentioned some weeks
      ago, in the debate about women in music, that in the area of contemporary /
      experimental vocals (or popular for that matter) women are in the forefront. I
      can think of many more female jazz singers, for example, than male. When
      considering instrumentalists though, this certainly is not the case. Very few
      women seem to get their fair share of media coverage. Only a few manage to break
      the barriers and receive regular coverage - like Marilyn Crispell (although I
      was very disappointed with her interpretation of Annette Peacock's music which I
      don't think has anything like the power or emotion of Paul Bley's many
      recordings).
      Finally, there have been some requests about mail order for CDs. If you use
      credit cards, I have found that CD Universe in the US are excellent. I usually
      find that 2 CDs including postage come to around $30 - less than �10 each.
      Delivery is around a week. A tip though - every time I have bought more than 2
      at once, the delivery has been intercepted by Customs & Excise and the duty they
      charge adds around �3 per CD. I don't know what their rules are, but I don't
      seem to get surcharged for deliveries of 1 or 2 CDs at a time.
      Robert Killip