Re: Matmos - The West

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
      > From: "John" <W.J.Gibson@...>
      >
      > Hello everybody (hello Dr. Nick),
      >
      > Is 'The West' just fantastic, or is it fantastic? I thought the two
      > Matmos albums had one or two flaws, but this new(ish) EP is amazing -
      > slide guitars, banjos and other Wild West-type parafernalia stapled
      > to some of the best grooves and warped sounds I've heard...ever.
      >
      > Any other opinions? And is there any other release (by anybody) of
      > comparable standards covering a similar area?
      >
      > JOHN

      Yeah, its really good. I've had that for a while. Nothing immediately
      similar comes to mind.

      davis
    • Steven Taylor
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
        > > Is 'The West' just fantastic, or is it fantastic? I thought the two
        > > Matmos albums had one or two flaws, but this new(ish) EP is amazing -
        > > slide guitars, banjos and other Wild West-type parafernalia stapled
        > > to some of the best grooves and warped sounds I've heard...ever.
        > >
        > > Any other opinions? And is there any other release (by anybody) of
        > > comparable standards covering a similar area?
        > >
        > > JOHN
        >
        > Yeah, its really good. I've had that for a while. Nothing immediately
        > similar comes to mind.

        Yeah it is great, im embarrassed to say I almost ignored Matmos due to
        the fact that they were getting raved about on the IDM mailing list...
        and its been a long time since they raved about anything i've liked on
        that list! (well maybe a slight exaggeration... but only slight). So
        sorry Matmos! I wont be so judgemental next time ;-)

        Steve

        play : horseopera@...
        work : stevet@...
        else : kung.funk@...
      • Ryan Shaw
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
          regarding the _Grow Fins_ beefheart anthology:

          does anyone know if volumes two and three
          of the LP version of _Grow Fins_ have come
          out? Table of the Elements/Xeric released
          volume one at the same time Revenant
          released the 5 CD set, but i never saw
          two or three.......

          rbs.