Re: Matmos - The West

  • Davis Ford
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
      > From: "John" <W.J.Gibson@...>
      >
      > Hello everybody (hello Dr. Nick),
      >
      > Is 'The West' just fantastic, or is it fantastic? I thought the two
      > Matmos albums had one or two flaws, but this new(ish) EP is amazing -
      > slide guitars, banjos and other Wild West-type parafernalia stapled
      > to some of the best grooves and warped sounds I've heard...ever.
      >
      > Any other opinions? And is there any other release (by anybody) of
      > comparable standards covering a similar area?
      >
      > JOHN

      Yeah, its really good. I've had that for a while. Nothing immediately
      similar comes to mind.

      davis
    • John

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 1999
          > > Is 'The West' just fantastic, or is it fantastic? I thought the two
          > > Matmos albums had one or two flaws, but this new(ish) EP is amazing -
          > > slide guitars, banjos and other Wild West-type parafernalia stapled
          > > to some of the best grooves and warped sounds I've heard...ever.
          > >
          > > Any other opinions? And is there any other release (by anybody) of
          > > comparable standards covering a similar area?
          > >
          > > JOHN
          >
          > Yeah, its really good. I've had that for a while. Nothing immediately
          > similar comes to mind.

          Yeah it is great, im embarrassed to say I almost ignored Matmos due to
          the fact that they were getting raved about on the IDM mailing list...
          and its been a long time since they raved about anything i've liked on
          that list! (well maybe a slight exaggeration... but only slight). So
          sorry Matmos! I wont be so judgemental next time ;-)

          Steve

          play : horseopera@...
          work : stevet@...
          else : kung.funk@...
        • Ryan Shaw
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 1999
            regarding the _Grow Fins_ beefheart anthology:

            does anyone know if volumes two and three
            of the LP version of _Grow Fins_ have come
            out? Table of the Elements/Xeric released
            volume one at the same time Revenant
            released the 5 CD set, but i never saw
            two or three.......

            rbs.