Re: Candomble

  • e
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      please answer me, where in northern brazil
      > will you come?

      I will be in Fortaleza for 8 weeks then a month of travel to maybe Recife
      or Salvador...maybe both. I'm a university student from the U.S., and
      I'm interested in studying the musical aspects of some of the
      Afro-brazilian religions...specificly, Candomble... my knowledge is
      somewhat limited at the moment but I'm busy trying to learn as much as I
      can before I leave...any help would be much appreciated.

      candomble music is not an exact expression for us in brazil. wiuld
      > it be anything like maracatu?

      I'm not familiar with maracatu, what is it?

      eb
    • Per-Christian Hille
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        Salvador would probably be the right starting point for investigating
        Candomble. (The religion is practised all over Brazil, but under different
        names; Candomble is the Bahian version) There you can fairly easily get
        invited to a terreiro where ceremonies are held. (Hang around Terreiro de
        Jesus/Pra�a de S� in the Pelourinho district for a while, a tout will sooner
        or later approach you).
        The centre of Candomble in Brazil is said to be in Cachoeira, a small town
        an hour or 2 inland from Salvador. You might have to work harder to get
        invited to a ceremony there, but it should be worth the trouble.
        And, needless to say, there's quite a bit of etiquette to follow when you're
        attending a ceremony (no cameras, no taperecorders - well, at least make it
        small); show respect.
        per-christian
        \ooo/

        From: e <ebond@...>

        please answer me, where in northern brazil
        > will you come?

        I will be in Fortaleza for 8 weeks then a month of travel to maybe Recife
        or Salvador...maybe both. I'm a university student from the U.S., and
        I'm interested in studying the musical aspects of some of the
        Afro-brazilian religions...specificly, Candomble... my knowledge is
        somewhat limited at the moment but I'm busy trying to learn as much as I
        can before I leave...any help would be much appreciated.

        candomble music is not an exact expression for us in brazil. wiuld
        > it be anything like maracatu?

        I'm not familiar with maracatu, what is it?

        eb

        GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
        NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
        Apply online today! http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1