RE: Re: toop, jenkinson, prevost et al

  • dan hill
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 1999
      >sheesh.... the guardian is a *liberal* paper. it broadly supports the
      >British Labour party - but that hardly makes it leftist, unless you see all
      >politics through the filter of parliament and journalistic scaremongering.

      well, i guess none of these terms make much sense anymore anyway. but
      please let's not go down that route!

      >Anyway, liberal or not, it is silly to characterise the Guardian's music
      >coverage in the way a number of people have - the quality varies enormously
      >from one reviewer to the next,

      of course ... and i said that if john fordham or jonathan romney had done
      the review, it probably would've been more interesting. or indeed tom cox?
      they at least seem to care about music on some level, at least more than
      caroline sullivan ...

      and many western writers *are* beyond melody as the *sole* determinant of
      relevance in music. very few of those write for the mainstream media
      however ...

      >On average, I find Guardian reveiews
      >neither more nor less silly than Wire reviews.......

      well, exactly ;)

      (sorry)

      cheers,
      dan.

      ---+ dan hill [state51]
      ---+ new reviews on motion [2.7.99]:
      < arab strap | rachel's | lee hazlewood | elizabeth schimana | paul schutze
      | out in worship | flanger >
      http://motion.state51.co.uk/ +---
    • R. Lim
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 1999
        On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Oeivind Idsoe wrote:

        > That's just you counting the fucking numbers instead of focusing on
        > what people are actually saying, which makes you even more superficial
        > than your previous pseudo-revolutionary garbish-grammar would imply.

        Remember, content over form, people. I wasn't even going to bat an eye,
        but since Davis threw down the gauntlet.. I'm not sure when ad hominem
        attacks became passable as a reasonable response, so I'll just ignore all
        that junk. Here, I believe, is the meat of the topical portion:

        > presented, and that the reason most of us disagree with the article is
        > that the entire premise of the concept of the mentioned concert seems
        > beyond the reviewer. Sending a reviewer that doesn't seem to like
        > sometimes atonal, sometimes free-flowing, sometimes even noisey music
        > to a concert featuring these very things might be an interesting
        > sociological experiment, but it's not really interesting (for me) on a
        > musical level (unless, of course, you think that every arty experience

        I dunno, I'd have to agree with Joel that the very premise of a handful of
        the most feted stars of new electronic music taking a dilettante's whirl
        at improvisation is arrogant and distasteful. Most of the accounts of the
        show seem to bely that improv (free or otherwise) is a craft that you have
        to practice at (a lot) to be any good at; otherwise you end up hitting
        your mark purely by chance.

        More cogently, it's pretty clear that the only reason most of the audience
        was there was due to the celebrity status of some of the players. This
        not only wastes people's time, but also goes a way in convincing the
        merely curious that improvisation (or experimental music in general) is
        all noisy bollocks.

        > that such a thing as "a point" even exist). Open your eyes a little
        > wider next time. Eyes wide shut. You agree with Maddy ('s integrity)

        I hereby initiate a world-wide ban in using the term "eyes wide shut" (or
        its accompanying clever reversal, "eyes wide open").

        -rob

        ps to Ongthorne (and others)- I have more Cosmic Volume than David Toop- I
        presume you are talking about Jan Van Den Dobbelsteen's vanity imprint?
        I found the text of Volume 3 to be intractably laughable and I'm afraid
        the s/w was not much better. Plus the advertised waves of drone were
        downright PUNY. And on the subject of Hafler Trio revivals (dare I utter
        the sacred name of "Intersystems" in this context? I didn't think so),
        Gerhard Potuznik gives a pretty good stab at forging his own _Intoutof_
        with his new _Concorde_. Unfortunately, the music doesn't really hold a
        candle to superior works (Cube & Sphere's _Great Norwegian Explorers_,
        along with assorted 12's for Disko B and Cheap); in fact, it reads more
        like a mash of eclectic leftovers. The inclusion of "songs" is by far the
        cheekiest move of the package and it _almost_ gels...
      • Oeivind Idsoe
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 1999
          "R. Lim" wrote:

          > From: "R. Lim" <rlim@...>
          >
          > Remember, content over form, people. I wasn't even going to bat an eye,
          > but since Davis threw down the gauntlet.. I'm not sure when ad hominem
          > attacks became passable as a reasonable response, so I'll just ignore all
          > that junk. Here, I believe, is the meat of the topical portion:

          Yes, well, sorry about that. My momentary lapse of reason was an attempt to
          stoop to diskonos level, but as with most instinctual/primal outbursts it
          feels good for a short while, but then you're not really sure anymore.
          Anyways, diskono sort of had it coming. OK, it still feels kind of good. I
          must have hit a really deep primal note.

          > Most of the accounts of the
          > show seem to bely that improv (free or otherwise) is a craft that you have
          > to practice at (a lot) to be any good at; otherwise you end up hitting
          > your mark purely by chance.

          But then you are discussing something other than the reviewer was talking
          about, which seemed to be an objection to noisey improv in the first place.
          Besides, there's nothing wrong with chance. If this collection of what you
          call feted stars actually managed to come up with something interesting just
          by pure accident, I have no problems with that.

          > > that such a thing as "a point" even exist). Open your eyes a little
          > > wider next time. Eyes wide shut. You agree with Maddy ('s integrity)
          >
          > I hereby initiate a world-wide ban in using the term "eyes wide shut" (or
          > its accompanying clever reversal, "eyes wide open").

          I was pushing the new Kubrick movie. It's the textual version of subliminal
          advertising. Read it backwards and you'll feel forced to buy a ticket for the
          premiere (at least that's what the scientological church told me. They're
          heavily invested in the movie, you know).

          > -rob

          /Oeivind/
        • Oliver Brice
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 1999
            I quit, you've just got too boring. Go and take some drugs or something.
            Bye,
            Olie