Re: Candomble

  • Magda Dourado Pucci
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 1999
      You should go to Salvador (Bahia) where this tradition is very strong
      and engaged with the african roots. Other similar expressions you
      can find in other parts of Brazil. But tell me which places you'll be
      able to visit, first.

      Magda Pucci

      e wrote:

      > From: e <ebond@...>
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on the
      > Afro-Brazillian music of Candomble? I'm travelling to nothern Brazil in a
      > month and would like to check it out. Any help would be much appreciated.
      > thanks-
      >
      > eb

      > ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
      > For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
      > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

    • e
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
        please answer me, where in northern brazil
        > will you come?

        I will be in Fortaleza for 8 weeks then a month of travel to maybe Recife
        or Salvador...maybe both. I'm a university student from the U.S., and
        I'm interested in studying the musical aspects of some of the
        Afro-brazilian religions...specificly, Candomble... my knowledge is
        somewhat limited at the moment but I'm busy trying to learn as much as I
        can before I leave...any help would be much appreciated.

        candomble music is not an exact expression for us in brazil. wiuld
        > it be anything like maracatu?

        I'm not familiar with maracatu, what is it?

        eb
      • Per-Christian Hille
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
          Salvador would probably be the right starting point for investigating
          Candomble. (The religion is practised all over Brazil, but under different
          names; Candomble is the Bahian version) There you can fairly easily get
          invited to a terreiro where ceremonies are held. (Hang around Terreiro de
          Jesus/Pra�a de S� in the Pelourinho district for a while, a tout will sooner
          or later approach you).
          The centre of Candomble in Brazil is said to be in Cachoeira, a small town
          an hour or 2 inland from Salvador. You might have to work harder to get
          invited to a ceremony there, but it should be worth the trouble.
          And, needless to say, there's quite a bit of etiquette to follow when you're
          attending a ceremony (no cameras, no taperecorders - well, at least make it
          small); show respect.
          per-christian
          \ooo/

          From: e <ebond@...>

          please answer me, where in northern brazil
          > will you come?

          I will be in Fortaleza for 8 weeks then a month of travel to maybe Recife
          or Salvador...maybe both. I'm a university student from the U.S., and
          I'm interested in studying the musical aspects of some of the
          Afro-brazilian religions...specificly, Candomble... my knowledge is
          somewhat limited at the moment but I'm busy trying to learn as much as I
          can before I leave...any help would be much appreciated.

          candomble music is not an exact expression for us in brazil. wiuld
          > it be anything like maracatu?

          I'm not familiar with maracatu, what is it?

          eb

          GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
          NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
          Apply online today! http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1