Dialogue-Music (was Re: [thewire] Re: Welcome to thewire@onelist.com)

  • James Dye
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 1998
      >>From: "Mark Coyle"
      >>
      >>Hello all,
      >>
      >>I've just joined the group after reading The Wire for many a year.

      >>I'm interested at the moment in dialogue interwoven with music from
      Scanner
      >>to Negativland. Anyone got any particular recommendations?
      >>
      >>Cheers
      >>Mark Coyle

      Hmmm. My first post to the list. I never got around to the roll-call
      thread; if I did, I might have listed more than a few female artists to,
      uh, "correct the balance."

      Anyway, one recommendation for you in the "found sound" category of
      Negativeland, Scanner, et. al., is Steve Fisk. He is probably best known
      for his production work with Northwest US bands (Screaming Trees,
      Nirvana, Beat Happening, et.al.), and as a member of the underrated
      instrumental combo Pell Mell.

      -However-, his solo recordings are far, far different. Back in the early
      80's, he began working with sound collages and tape loops to make
      particular sound recordings. His work, in fact, paralleled
      Negativeland's, who were starting out doing the same thing he was at
      about the same time. He has two compilations. One is -448 Deathless
      Days- on SST; I'm not familiar with it. The one I do have is a CD
      compilation of cassette only releases, -Over and Thru the Night: A
      10-Year Retrospective- on K records. It has a series of tape-loop/found
      sound/beats/samples et.al. recordings, with quite a few of those samples
      uncleared (one recording is a Beatles re-mix--undoubtedly illegal). Fisk
      has also worked with Negativeland in the past; I think his name is
      listed somewhere in the credits for -Dispepsi- There is also a live CD
      compilation on K from the 1991 Olympia, Washington IPU festival that
      features a quite lenghty "found sound" live performance from Fisk and
      Mark Hosler of Negativeland.

      A couple of other recommendations: the Evolution Control Commitee (maybe
      best known for the recording of a Chuck D vocal track via Public Enemy
      mixed with a Herb Alpert instrumental--hilarious when you hear it); the
      Tape Beatles (who I think have changed their name in recent years); and
      John Oswald's infamous Plunderphonics recordings.
      Undoubtedly only the tip of the iceberg on the genre, of course.

      Recommended viewing: the documentary -Sonic Outlaws-. Excellent film
      that mostly covers Negativeland and their battles with U2, Casey Kasem,
      and SST Records, but a few other "found sound" artists are also covered.

      James