La Monte Young

  • Tom Chan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 14, 1999
      Hi,

      Any one has his The well tuned paino CD/LP? Where can I found that?

      Thanks

      Tom
    • Randy Gelling
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 14, 1999
        Any one has his The well tuned paino CD/LP? Where can I found that?

        I've heard the entire thing, it's quite good but I got it on loan from a
        university library. I don't know if it is still available.
      • Tom Bickley
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 14, 1999
          I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD. Phone
          numbers (in NYC) for LaMonte Young's Mela Foundation is: 212-925-8270 or
          fax 212-226-7802. The url for Mela Foundation is:
          http://www.virtulink.com/mela/main.htm

          Isn't David Beardsley on this list? He may have some helpful ideas
          regarding this recording.

          What's the status of the Dream House? Is it closed for the summer? When
          does it reopen?

          Pax, -Tom

          On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Tom Chan wrote:

          > From: "Tom Chan" <tom@...>
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > Any one has his The well tuned paino CD/LP? Where can I found that?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > [Attachments have been removed from this message]

          > ONElist: your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.

          tbickley@...
          http://www.artswire.org/tbickley
          http://www.artswire.org/comma
          http://www.metatronpress.com

          "Art is refining and evocative translation of the materials of the world."
          -Gwendolyn Brooks
        • Brian or Sharon Beuchaw
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 14, 1999
            On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Tom Bickley wrote:

            > From: Tom Bickley <tbickley@...>
            >
            > I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD.

            Yes, it has. I've got a copy, but I'm about 99.9999999% sure that it's
            out of print in all editions right now. :-( It might be findable in some
            online auctions or something.....

            cya
            brian
            "Clown makeup is just a deathmask with a sense of humor" - Mark Dery
          • Randy Gelling
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 14, 1999
              I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD.

              It has, the library copy I mentioned was on CD.
              randy
            • dieter scheyhing
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 15, 1999
                >> I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD.
                >
                >Yes, it has. I've got a copy, but I'm about 99.9999999% sure that it's
                >out of print in all editions right now. :-(

                i think the main problem is that rykodisc took over the gramavision label
                and it's back catalogue a while ago. la monte at that point already
                anticipated this would mean that his gramavision releases would be at
                least unavailable for an indeterminate time, which is the case actually
                since some years meanwhile. it's really a shame.

                - dieter
              • David Beardsley
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 17, 1999
                  Tom Bickley <tbickley@...> writes:

                  > I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD. Phone
                  > numbers (in NYC) for LaMonte Young's Mela Foundation is: 212-925-8270 or
                  > fax 212-226-7802. The url for Mela Foundation is:
                  > http://www.virtulink.com/mela/main.htm
                  >
                  > Isn't David Beardsley on this list? He may have some helpful ideas
                  > regarding this recording.

                  It's out of print with no plans to re-release that version.
                  It was released on vinyl, cassette and CD. If you see
                  a copy - jump on it.

                  > What's the status of the Dream House? Is it closed for the summer? When
                  > does it reopen?

                  Closed for the summer. Opens after the 1st day of
                  fall in September.

                  dieter scheyhing <kubisch@...> writes:

                  > i think the main problem is that rykodisc took over the gramavision label
                  > and it's back catalogue a while ago. la monte at that point already
                  > anticipated this would mean that his gramavision releases would be at
                  > least unavailable for an indeterminate time, which is the case actually
                  > since some years meanwhile. it's really a shame.

                  Ryko dropped La Monte at that time. I don't know about
                  any plans to re-release the Forever Bad Blues Band
                  or the Second Dream of... - Ryko/Gramavision won't
                  return or find the masters for the WTP.

                  "R. Lim" <rlim@...> writes:

                  > Speaking of which, the Pandit Pran Nath CD on Gramavision is pretty
                  > stellar (as had previously mentioned here, I believe). I've always found
                  > it to be scarcer than any of the LMY stuff.

                  I think MELA still has copies on cassette, I'm not too
                  sure about vinyl - check with them. The CD is out of print.

                  There are some new PPN releases in the works for fall 99/win 2000.

                  --
                  * D a v i d B e a r d s l e y
                  * xouoxno@...
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 17, 1999

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 17, 1999
                      Tom Bickley <tbickley@...> writes:

                      > I'm not sure that the Well Tuned Piano has been issued on CD. Phone
                      > numbers (in NYC) for LaMonte Young's Mela Foundation is: 212-925-8270 or
                      > fax 212-226-7802. The url for Mela Foundation is:
                      > http://www.virtulink.com/mela/main.htm
                      >
                      > Isn't David Beardsley on this list? He may have some helpful ideas
                      > regarding this recording.

                      It's out of print with no plans to re-release that version.
                      It was released on vinyl, cassette and CD. If you see
                      a copy - jump on it.

                      > What's the status of the Dream House? Is it closed for the summer? When
                      > does it reopen?

                      Closed for the summer. Opens after the Saturday of

                      "R. Lim" <rlim@...> writes:

                      > Speaking of which, the Pandit Pran Nath CD on Gramavision is pretty
                      > stellar (as had previously mentioned here, I believe). I've always found
                      > it to be scarcer than any of the LMY stuff.

                      I think MELA still has copies on cassette, I'm not too
                      sure about vinyl - check with them. The CD is out of print.

                      There are some new PPN releases in the works for fall 99/win 2000.

                      --
                      * D a v i d B e a r d s l e y
                      * xouoxno@...
                      *
                      * J u x t a p o s i t i o n E z i n e
                      * M E L A v i r t u a l d r e a m house monitor
                      *
                      * http://www.virtulink.com/immp/lookhere.htm
                    • Luigi Santosuosso
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 9 11:16 AM
                        I would be very grateful to anyone who could inform me (off line) on how to
                        get in touch mr. LaMonte Young, in order to organize a concert in the coming
                        months.

                        Thank you in advance.
                        Best regards
                        Luigi Santosuosso
                      • Ryan Whitehead
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 22, 2001
                          With the publication of the article on 'early minimalism' in the most recent
                          wire, I'm sure there are some people wondering if they'll ever have the
                          opportunity to hear "The Well-Tuned Piano" (without paying $600 for a
                          casette version) or "The Second Dream Of The High-Tension Line Stepdown
                          Transformer From The Four Dreams Of China".

                          Well, if you'd like to hear them contact me: I might be able to help.

                          Ryan

                        • Davis Ford
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 22, 2001
                            Ryan Whitehead <ryan_whitehead@...> said:

                            > With the publication of the article on 'early minimalism' in the most recent
                            > wire, I'm sure there are some people wondering if they'll ever have the
                            > opportunity to hear "The Well-Tuned Piano" (without paying $600 for a
                            > casette version) or "The Second Dream Of The High-Tension Line Stepdown
                            > Transformer From The Four Dreams Of China".
                            >
                            > Well, if you'd like to hear them contact me: I might be able to help.
                            >
                            > Ryan

                            Both of these, as well as a plethora of other Young items are circulating
                            around certain mp3 circles / groups / usenets / napsters / ftps / whatever.
                            If you look hard enough, you'll find what you want.

                            well-tuned piano is awesome.
                            young's dorian blues in g is also a good barn-burner.
                            i've acquired a few other nice young items from various places.
                            got two angus maclise albums that really light my fire, "brain damage in
                            oklahoma city" and "invasion of the thunderbolt pagoda". title track from
                            latter is 20 minutes of bliss.

                            davis
                          • Tom Hyland
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 23, 2001
                              Young's Mela Foundation just announced a dvd release
                              of a 6 + hour perfomance of the Well Tuned Piano from
                              the 80s. They created the dvd for exhibition in
                              Eruope this past year. As with many limited edtion
                              releases from the Mela Foundation, the price is steep,
                              around $150 I think.

                              I was fortunate to know a producer at the dvd company
                              that did the transfer job; I saw a segment of it and
                              the sound is quite amazing played loud through a
                              stereo.

                              You can check out the press release at
                              www.lamonteyoung.com.

                              tom

                              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                            • wlt4@mindspring.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 23, 2001
                                > Young's Mela Foundation just announced a dvd release
                                >of a 6 + hour perfomance of the Well Tuned Piano from

                                A video DVD or audio-only DVD?
                              • R. Lim
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 23, 2001
                                  On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Tom Hyland wrote:

                                  > Eruope this past year. As with many limited edtion
                                  > releases from the Mela Foundation, the price is steep,
                                  > around $150 I think.

                                  According to the press release, the DVDs for sale are actually pre-release
                                  "proofs", meant to raise funds for a more general pressing with booklet.
                                  Strangely enough, you have to pay extra to get the kind of treatment
                                  usually associated with proofs (namely, a signature). Upshot: the
                                  thrifty, non-compulsive consumer may want to hold off on this particular
                                  item.

                                  -rob

                                  ps- The DVD appears to be a video release, for all regions.
                                • David Beardsley
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 2, 2001
                                    I'm just catching up on my email and I find this:

                                    simonsmith@... wrote:

                                    >Isn't the release of incredibly limited edition copies at
                                    >extortionate prices just a neat way of extracting cash
                                    >from a hungry audience?

                                    Maybe it's a way of financing the production
                                    of the commercial release?

                                    "Ryan Whitehead" <ryan_whitehead@...> wrote:

                                    >The profit motive seems suspect, or at least short
                                    >sighted. Not that I'm a master of economics, but it
                                    > stands to reason that labels like Table Of The
                                    >Elements are giving a more accurate rendition of
                                    > the supply/demand curve. Why then would their pricing be so
                                    >drastically different than La Monte's.

                                    Because it's much cheaper to release a cd with only
                                    music on it than a 6 1/2 hour dvd with audio AND music.

                                    (I'm a student of La Monte and web master for http://lamonteyoung.com)

                                    db

                                    --
                                    * D a v i d B e a r d s l e y
                                    * 49/32 R a d i o "all microtonal, all the time"